Catalina PC lighting

Has anyone ever used these lights? How about even heard of them?
Good...bad?

I've read some reviews from people on other forums and havent read anything bad yet. Just that they are surprisingly good for the price.

I just bought an inexpensive, 2 bulb compact fixture for my nano tank, on a whim (going on the reviews that I read) and I was wondering if somebody knew something I didnt... Thanks!

MrPex

I just happen to work up the street from the manufacturer here in Sacramento, and I have a Catalina 4x65W PC and 2 x 150W MH. I got the fixture used from another forum member from here on RS.

The light works well... the only complaint I really have is that there are 4 power cables (1 for each MH fixture and 2 more for the 4 PC sockets) and another thinner low voltage twisted pair for the lunar led remote. 2 power cables come out from one end and the other 2 power cables and the twisted pair for the lunar leds come out from the other end... it seems kind of sloppy from a cable-management perspective IMO. My preference would have been to have all the cables coming out of one end of the fixture. I plan on modding the cabling on mine to hep clean this up a bit.

But other than that, mine works well.

HOWEVER, my LFS refuses to distribute Catalina because they said they have had quality issues in the past (everything form ballasts to cabling issues). Because Catalina is local, my LFS tried working with the owner with these quality issues, and they said he was a great guy, but ultimately, the quality was just not high enough for them to put their name up in support of Catalina. (My LFS is a respectable dealer and an acclaimed sponsor of MARS, and I have found their opinions to be quite trustworthy. I bought my Catalina before I started shopping with them.)

I know, a little bit of both sides of the coin so it probably doesn't help your decision making any, but this has just been my experience.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've got a Catalina T5 fixture and think it's a LOT of "Bang for the BUCK". Sure there are better fixtures out there but I couldn't justify the upgrade in price because I don't think the performance was proportional to the price difference. I do have to say that I got my fixture at a huge discount but even without that being factored in they give good performance for a good price. There are cheaper units but they are sub-par in performance.

Ok cool! I'm taking it that I got a decent lamp for the price (for what it is, its good), atleast thats what I've been hearing others say about their lights.
Of course there is always something better, but at this time, the price had me hooked.

I appreciate the help! Thanks guys!

DublD

I've owned two units from them....halide/pc and halide/vho. I loved them both. Ditto to Big Al...a lot of bang for the buck

LPS_Blasto

I have a 6 bulb T5 fixture from Catalina over my 30g tank. LOVE it!!

I have a 6 bulb PC fixture over my frag tank. Love that one too!!

Jim is a great guy and has always gone out of his way to build anything I ask for. Call him and talk to him. Tell him what you want. He's easy to talk too.