Carbon/GFO reactor

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
I'm thinking about adding a carbon/GFO reactor to my system and I'm currently considering the BRS dual GFO/Carbon Reactor, but I wanted to get your opinions on other brands/models before making the choice. Thoughts?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
When I was running reactors I had two separate BRS reactors, one for GFO and one for Carbon. I used one pump that fed the reactors independently with a flow valve to each reactor. The reason I did this was that GFO and carbon require different flow rates so this gave me the ability to independently adjust the flow.

I've never used the dual reactor above but I don't see how you can get the flow right when one reactor feeds the other.

Just my 2 cents, see what others have to say.

Not sure you can do much better for the money tbh. I've seen series filters used with success in a lot tanks. Mike Palettas' comes to mind, he's been in some interesting videos on youtube recently.

Edit: I'll add a URL for a video that shows a similar dual media setup. Interesting discussion from the tank owner about it and why he runs carbon into GFO and flow rates etc...

[video=youtube;o9qcMgprS84]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o9qcMgprS84&feature=player_detailpage#t=486[/video]

Last edited:

reefguy

When I was running reactors I had two separate BRS reactors, one for GFO and one for Carbon. I used one pump that fed the reactors independently with a flow valve to each reactor. The reason I did this was that GFO and carbon require different flow rates so this gave me the ability to independently adjust the flow.

I've never used the dual reactor above but I don't see how you can get the flow right when one reactor feeds the other.

Just my 2 cents, see what others have to say.

This is what I have done. Highly recommend.

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I don't have any pics but I believe I used a Rio 600 or something similar. I had a line come out of the pump to a "T" fitting, then one line to each reactor with a valve on it. Easy-peasy.

Mike Johnson

I use the BRS Deluxe GFO/Carbon Reactor. I use the maxi-jet that comes with it. I use a small amount and change every two weeks. Be careful when starting to use GFO. BRS recommends too much GFO and this can cause injury to your corals. Start out slow.

reefer gladness

More than one way to skin this cat. In my system I just added a media rack in the sump. No reactors, no pumps - just the considerable water flow already going through the sump. I run Chemi-pure Elite but any media can be placed in the rack.

AquaFXdotnet

RS Sponsor
We suggest the cobalt mj-1200, that's the same pump we use in our water transfer kit and like it because if there is any issues there is a 3 year warranty on it and the pumps seem to last however honestly that does come up to personal preference. we like it because we can quick connect it easily as well.

AquaFXdotnet

RS Sponsor
@Reefer there sure is.. My nitrates were haywire, and then found out that bio balls in an established reef tank can cause nitrates to be expelled. and so I turned my filter system into a refugium, and added a sock to the drop pipe from the tank and my nitrates went from a steady 40+ to 10. Of course that was with water changes as well but its stopped increasing and stays steady now!

Mayja

Social Media Moderator
RS STAFF
More than one way to skin this cat. In my system I just added a media rack in the sump. No reactors, no pumps - just the considerable water flow already going through the sump. I run Chemi-pure Elite but any media can be placed in the rack.

I already have Chemi-Pure Elite in the natural flow of my sump and it certainly has helped a lot, but I can tell due to my new algae growth that it's time to kick it up a notch. I suspect that my phosphate levels are on the rise and I am already using carbon so I figured it's time to do a dual reactor.