Can't keep macroalgae alive!

KARussell88

Hey all,
A while back I had a very very bad algae problem, like had to blackout the tank and buy new rock and scrub old rock bad.

From the beginning, I have a 90 gallon reef tank with a 29 gallon sump.

Ok, my sump is divided into 3 sections, the first has the heater and a filter sock with the output in it. The second section is full of live rock, has a deepblue light with a 36 watt bulb in it, and, at one point, also had chaeto in it. The third section has the skimmer, input, and now a dual phosphate/carbon reactor on it.

Now before the reactors were there, I wanted the middle section to be a refugium that removed the nitrates and phosphates with the macroaglae. Well, long story short, not only did my phosphates and nitrates get out of control, but the chaeto died and my tank was overrun with algae.

Things are fine with the reactors in place now but has anyone every had such a problem keeping macroaglae alive?? I have now killed 2 softball sized batches of chaeto and some other random macros I've tried, and they start to die almost instantly.

Gfoot2000

i have a 6500 23w cfl with the clamp fixture from lowes and it works well, chaeto going crazy, before that i used a 6500k 36w pc and my cheato were dying too,

KARussell88

The lights are on for 10 hours while the lights on the main tank are off
can you give me a link to the light you were using gfoot2000?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
absence of p04 equals no macro survival, try turning off the reactors couple of days before you try again

KARussell88

really that works??
how do you have that mounted over ur sump?
and sas, I only got the reactors after the chaeto kept dying and i needed something to get rid of the phosphates

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
really that works??
how do you have that mounted over ur sump?
and sas, I only got the reactors after the chaeto kept dying and i needed something to get rid of the phosphates

hmm, must be lighting then, I couldn't grow anything after phosban, took 3 or 4 tries

yankieman

ok just fyi i got 2 6500k brite white 23 watt spiral bulbes last night at wall mart for $5.30 it was first time I have seen them there but I thought that was cheep so check it out you may have to look close to find tem there

Could also be flow issues. Perhaps the algae just didn't like the flow in the fuge. Likely a lighting issue but also look into flow. Different macros have different flows that they thrive at just like corals.