Can it?

ck508

Can a Sleeper Banded Goby, also known as the Brownbarred Goby and Bullet Goby, live in a 30 gallon tank? Its inhabitants are two nickel sized Ocellaris Clownfish and one Royal Gramma.

smkndrgn142

remember that those clowns will get bigger and you'll likely run into water quality issues when they do...if you decide to keep them.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Nice fish. I've seen a few of those in 34G tanks. I've heard they are sand sifters so might be an issue dumping sand on corals you have on the substrate. just my opinion, but if you have a decent skimmer no reason to worry about water quality issues with that many fish. Ocellaris don't get huge - my 3 year old pair hasn't gotten that big, and the male is much smaller (as expected).

smkndrgn142

not at all, you'll be fine for a while, but when every thing grows you'll be very close if not over your stocking limits. Just something to think about is all. You've got years before your clowns grow out.
I've also got a goby that likes to dig in the sand...he'll spread it over everything. But it hasn't bothered any of my corals yet.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
The banded sleeper can get 6 inches long, so it might be a bit big in a 30 if it grew that big. If you don't get too overstocked you can make up for that with a top notch skimmer and some chemical media to also remove organics (and don't overfeed!). Overfeeding will cause more problems than those fish will.

XeniaLee

I just went to my local store and asked for something to sift the sand. They sold me a yellow head sifter goby. My tank is just under 40 gallons, so I'm concerned that he's a little big. He's made a huge mess of my tank in the first 6 hours he's been in there, but I'm hoping the tank will settle and look even better than it did before he "sifted" the sand. He's fun to watch, and quite beautiful, so I hope he works out. besides, I'd never catch him if I decided that he's too disruptive.