Can anyone identify these?

Tufftey

Hi
Can anyone identify these green, rasberry looking things? Good or bad?
They are oblong/egg shaped and I have 2 larger ones and two smaller.

MARCH2010063.jpg

David Shaw

Looks like bubble algae. If so remove carefully without popping to avoid spreading around the tank.

I usually remove the rock, then remove it before replacing in the tank.

Tufftey

Hi Dave

I'm not going to be able to remove the rock without taking everything out (its the bottom rock) Any idea of the best way to remove them insitu?

David Shaw

I personally would cover with a glass and then try to prise it off without popping.

Others may have more experience though.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I've had some good luck in coating them in a huge bubble of Super Glue Gel and then trying to "wiggle" the whole thing loose. I know some people will do this while siphoning water (as during a water change) just in case you do bust one.

I've probably removed 20 like that and more than a dozen by simply slipping my finger under the edge and slowly prying them off. If left alone each one will grow and grow until the DO pop. Check out this one I left alone to grow (I finally got worried and pulled it out)
IMG_7611.jpg

Tufftey

Thanks guys. Is it your normal super glu or one I need to buy from the LFS? I've also got some Atapsia and I've been trying the hot water tip but they shrivel up and then a few days later come back. Can anyone recommend a product? Many thanks

waucedah_joe

Thanks guys. Is it your normal super glu or one I need to buy from the LFS? I've also got some Atapsia and I've been trying the hot water tip but they shrivel up and then a few days later come back. Can anyone recommend a product? Many thanks

I've had success with aptasia by mixing a little Mrs. Wages Pickling Lime (Kalk) with some DI water to make a paste. Then using a syringe from an old test kit to apply it directly to the aptasia. A small herd if peppermint shrimp will eat the small ones too.

Just make sure its super glue GEL and you should be fine. And as for aiptasia i have only gone with the mature pepperment shrimp method but i have heard good things about Aiptasia X.

Shamus

I've used the aiptasia x with some success, although I feel like I'm fighting the ever-losing battle (just added a peppermint to hopefully help). The bubble algae does have more strength in the outer coating than you might at first suspect as well - they can take a small bit of poking at (I think I used the corner of a metal scraper to help pry some off...maybe that wasn't the best way to go about it, but it worked - I'm going to definitely defer to the methods of the more experienced though - sounds like the super glue method is a good one).

Tufftey

Good news I managed to get the larger bubble algae out by just wriggling them a little. I've left the small singular one until I can either get some super glue and they are a little larger so I've got something to grab hold of.

I won't wait until they get as big as Bigal's that huge! It looks like a green slug (god I can't believe the things I'm putting into my tank I'd run a mile before I'd touch a snail or slug in the garden!)

NanoNewbie

Emerald crabs do good job on bubble algae. I had bad infestation in a 30gal reef and put 2 in and in couple weeks no more bubble algae.