Calcification

NitrousXpress

Hello once again! i have just converted from a fowlr tank to a reef tank. My system is a 55 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump. I only have two fish a gold stripe maroone and a royal gramma. Corals are green star polyps, duncan coral, orange green button polyps and brown polyps. I feed every other day some mysis shrimp. here's the deal. i would like to know why i have more green coralline algae than purple. The purple only grows on the power head but very very slowly. the green is dark and ugly looking but grows more. However my alk and calcium levels stay the same. Test kits are the api ones and they are only 4 months old. Alk tests at 11dkh and calcium at 500ppm. Nitrates and phosphates test at 0. there are some small red algae on my sand. Can this hinder the calcification process?

I also have b ionic but i havent dosed because the levels are already high and not depeleting. Any help will be appreciated.

Ssullivan

scrape some of the purple off the power head to seed the rest of the tank with it, once it starts to grow it will get to the point were you hate it though lol

NitrousXpress

huh? What do you mean by lighting? I have 216 watts of light over my 55 gallon tank. Should i dose b ionic even if my alk and calc levels are high?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
only dose according to need ie test results, some spectrum's of light will grow coraline in different color, high spec will give pink, low spec red and green