HELP! c250 bulb replacement

Susanedw

I've been trying to replace my bulbs and am having a hard time finding the whites. And the 34" odd sizing doesn't help as there isn't many places who have. Marine Depot has what I need as discontinued.

I found the actinic at amazon and ordered three instead of 2. And they have the pink. But I cannot find the blue/whites 10000 I think it is. What do I use and where do I go. Here is one bulb at amazon

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00AERNOSO/?tag=reefsanc-20

Will this one work.

Susanedw

Ugh, forgot to his Post....

Also, I saw that they also have led in the 34" size. What does that do for overall lighting to put in one or 2 of those?

I also found Coral Sun but that seems like it is the same as the blue actinic? Or is it half and half.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005X0D55E/?tag=reefsanc-20

And this seems like the whites
Amazon also has: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003HD05IE/?tag=reefsanc-20

I ordered the pink from amazon, received 3 blue actinics. I really don't want to have a "blue" tank. I like to feel like I'm seeing the corals as they really are--kind of like wearing sun glasses that make everything dark and I feel like I'm not seeing "what's really there".

DaveK

LED usually last the life of the fixture, unless you drop it in the tank or something.

They do not need replacement under normal conditions, but this can depend upon the quality of the fixture.

Replacement LED bulbs that go into a T5 fixture are usually a complete waste of time and money. This is because the fixture's ballast is converting the power to what T5 bulbs want and then the LED bulbs is converting the power to what LED's want. This double conversion is very inefficient and wastes a lot of power. Generally you need to replace the lighting, or at least the entire electrical part of the fixture.

With traditional T5 bulbs you usually want a ratio of 1 actinic blue bulb to 1 10000K white bulb. Some people that want the tank more blue looking go for 2 actinic blue bulbs to 1 10000K bulb. There are other various combinations of bulbs that will work.

On my own tanks, over time, I have replaced the lighting with LED lighting both on my 125 gal reef and on my 90 gal FW planted. There were some initial issues, mostly with finding out I needed more fixtures than I initially thought, but at this point I wouldn't go back.

Susanedw

@DaveK thanks again for sharing your thoughts and knowledge. Will switch to LEDS in future when can afford to replace hood and not bother with the led/t5's. They are costly!

Susanedw

okay, have all my bulbs on order/or have. My son inlaw suggested 3 blues, 2 whites. His tank is very blue so I hope mine isn't quite that blue.
Have:
3 actinic blues from red sea
Ordered:
2 aqua blue special ATI
1 Purple plus ATI

Plan to use front to back
Blue
blue special
purple
blue special
blue

Hope this works. My first time changing the lights. Maybe next year I can spring for the led hood replacments. Not sure if I should change my lights when they all get here (within week) or wait until I'm done treating tank for bryopsis with fluconazle. The algae closer to the lights is dying way faster so maybe when I get them all, I'll go ahead and change.