Buying Fish

(When it comes time) I know I still have 2 weeks I am just searching and researching. ;)

Is it better to buy fish online or from a local fish shop. We went to the one specialty shop here in town and they have some tank raised Clowns. False Percs I am almost positive. I was so excited watching them I didn't even hear which they were. They were beautiful. They were young very lively. No signs of illness.

It was very difficult not to buy any, but with the fear of killing them we walked away. Well she dragged me, but we didn't buy any.

Anyway, now that you are bored. What is better buying fish online or at a LFS?

Thanks for your help as always,
Rusty

Fish I am thinking of: 2 Clowns (leaning towards false percs), jawfish, possibly cardinal fish, dottyback, and maybe a butterfly.
These fish going by what the book ( The Conscientists Marine ). Should all be decent together, and if I stay with a small butterfly specicies shouldn't over load.

Last edited:

ReefLady

Staff member
Not bored. ;)

What is better buying fish online or at a LFS?

Actually, the answer to that question depends on a few factors.

Does your LFS have the fish you want to buy? If not, will they special order it?

Are they generally a good/ethical/clean, "well-kept" store?

Will they hold the fish for you for a week-10 days after it is received, to make sure it eats, and it free of disease?

If the answers to most of these questions are yes, then use the LFS. For fish in particular, I prefer the LFS. I like to see what I'm getting - I like to pick the fish that looks healthiest, without shrunken bellies or ragged fins. And just avoiding the additional leg of shipping is less stressful.

If most of the answers to the questions above, are "no" - many people do buy online with a good survival rate. Pick a reputable MO dealer (cheapest is not always the best!). Ask around for experiences.

Before you purchase any fish, establish a small (10g) quarantine tank. This should be used for all new fish acquisitions, and will save you numerous headaches down the road.

Good luck!

SaltyQueen

i would- if you have live rock or inverts, something could get in the water, & it would be difficult to treat the main tank (most medications will kill inverts).

ReefLady

Staff member
Even with no fish in the tank should I quarantine?

Yep, what SQ said. If the fish develop Ich, or something which needs to be treated with medication, not only can you not do it in the display tank, but it's horrid to try and catch fish in a tank full of LR.

Much better to watch them in QT for a couple weeks, and medicate there if necessary.

HTH,

Best to quarantine any fish you get.The best quarantine tank I have is a 20 gl tank bare bottom and a piece of eggcrate(plastic)to hold some aquatic plastic plants for the fish to hide.Moderate lighting not too strong!And copper treatment according to product recommendations.Keep the fish in the tank for 2 weeks make sure is eating and free of diseases!VINA

SaltyQueen

I never used to, but just started to recently after a friend had an ich outbreak from not QT-ing. don't want to have the same problem!

BoomerD

I prefer to buy fish from one of the few good LFS that I do business with. I like to see how healthy they look, if they are eating, and if they show any signs of disease. I used to do a lot of mail order fish business back when I bred discus & angels, (no internet!) and never had a problem, but usually was dealing with people I knew or had friends who knew them. I recently got involved with a "group buy" from one of the larger on-line fish dealers, and it's been a nightmare. Several people had fish that died, the order was shipped to more than 1 place, (delivery error) and about 1/2 of the order didn't even come in. Might be several weeks till it's all filled. Not a great experience.
I am a firm believer in quarantining ALL fish. I do not advocate copper for all fish, because many fish are highly sensitive to copper. Angels & tangs are among the list. Quarantining will not completely remove any possibility of ich (I just had an outbreak in a tank with NO new fish due to a heater failure!) or other infestation, but it will greatly improve your chances.
Try to find a good reputable LFS in your area. One that knows your set-up & experience, that remembers what fish you have, and might even try to keep you from buying fish that are not compatble with your current set-up/livestock. I drive about 80 miles to do business with one I trust.

Last edited:

wooddood

the wood dude
i've never bought a fish online before but i know alot have and have had good success,but as stated above i would find a good lfs that will hold a fish for you for a week to make sure its gonna survive.personally i have never quarantined a new fish and know i should but have been lucky so far.i would suggest it.

mwrager

Rusty

I have always bought fish from my LFS, if they dont have something I want I ask them if they can get it in for me.

Good Post RL.

Mark

johnlewis

I agree with BoomerD, I will get mine from a FS but I would not call it LFS it's about 40 miles away but the quality is very high and the staff very knowledgeable. I have used online dealers as well, and had good experiences with both. As for quarantining there are some very good suggestion listed but I would not use copper if it's not needed. I believe if it's not broke don't try and fix it, there is a LFS in my area that uses copper in all of it's FOTs, and they have many fish they die. When I was in the business I would unpack the fish and separate them away from display tanks with very low light for 24-48 hours and I was very successful without any medication. I routinely would bring in 30-50 fish at a time.

In reading that article I am going to be waiting 6 months to a year before adding any fish? This is the first place I have read this. In the book " The Consceinist Marine Aquairist " it shows adding fish at about the 32-34 day depending on tank "cycling".

I understand their concept and it makes sense. When we do add fish it will be at least a month probably two before any more fish are add to the tank. Due to if I have any problem I would rather kill one or two than kill 5-6. I am not going to even think about attempting corals for atleast another year.

Did anyone else wait 6 months or longer to add fish? Is this a new concept or have I just not come across it? I haven't read about it anywhere else?

Very good post, has me thinking now.

Thanks.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
when I first started in SW I waited till my tank cycled and then added 6 fish within 1-2 week period. It's a long sad story so I won't bore you with the details but the point is go slow and be patient only bad things happen quickly. I'm not saying wait 6 months just add them slowly and check the parameters make sure everything is ok before you add other fish, believe me you'll save yourself a lot of frustration and your fish will have a better chance to survive and thrive in their new environment JMHO

Scooterman

I think he was getting at loading a tank, if your adding just a few starters, which I think is necessary, your good at 4 to 6 weeks. I also have several people disagree with some of the tings he was saying. I just wanted to point out that it is wise not to rush into loading up your tank too suddenly, it takes time regardless of your test kit readings to reduce the major cycles.

Oh believe me I am not gonna add 10 fish to the tank then wonder why everything died. I added 4 damsels 2 days after setting the tank up. You of course know what happened. I have since learned my leason with the help of most everyone here.

Thanks for the help,
Rusty

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
Sorry kinda got off track ... I have bought fish online and have had some success with liveaquaria and marinedepot.com and wouldn't hesitate to order from them again but if you have an LFS that you trust and will hold the fish for ya then that would be my suggestion HTH