Building A Cube?

deaclauderdale

As the title states I am highly interested in building a 30x30x24 cube tank. This is my first foray into DIY tanks so all advice would be highly appreciated.

deaclauderdale

Is that the Sas? Hey buddy it's been a long time, the tank will be class, I'm thinking 1/2 inch for the base 3/4 for all of the sides.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
lol, there better not be two of me, so your still changing tanks and going wild huh, thats overkill on glass but if it's the look you want is fine, for awesome corners get a 45 degree bevel done (prone to chipping but looks great) exposed edges should be flat polished if not capped, two schools of thought on bottom plate 1) side plates land on it 2) side plates are out side of bottom.
Will it have a sump or chamber? chamber save lots of electric $$ but cuts space down. What about lights?

deaclauderdale

You think 3/4 is good all around? The glass comes polished, and drilled if I so like it. As far as placement of the panes always thought that they had to sit on top? Wasn't aware of the varying schools of thought. Lighting will be an ATI T5 system either 4 or 6 bulb depending, or I may go with an all-in-one 150 watt halide and T5 combo.

I still have the 190 just not enough room in my current house to set it up, and since I have reef fever I decided on going the cube route for this particular systems.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
its only 94 gallons less water height, you could do that in 3/8, Ive got 2 5'x2'x2' tanks I made with 1/4.
In theory a top attached glass transfers all the weight to the bottom plate, sides attached outside the bottom plate allows the bottom to float, I think Hagen tanks are all outside, for home construction sitting it on top is much easier.
Lights are ok then but what about a top frame? frameless is nice but my panties bunch up every time I work near open edged glass

deaclauderdale

I can eurobrace to remedy my concerns about a "rimless" tank, also I have the option of purchasing the tank from the gentleman that built the 190. If my buddy with the glass connection doesn't inform of pricing soon I'll just go that route and most likely add the frames as well, with a screen so that I can purchase a wrasse or two. Anyway here's my proposed stocking list:

CORAL LIST:

ORA Red Planet
Pearlberry
Bali Green Slimer
California Tort
Oregon Tort
Efflo
Pink Lemonade
Strawberry Petal Montipora
Various Acans
Duncans

FISH LIST:

Pair of Ocellaris Clowns (Rose Bubble Tip Anemone)
Court Jester Goby
Firefish
Mystery Wrasse
Banghai Cardinals
Bi-color Blenny

SHRIMP LIST

Pair of Harlequin Shrimp
Cleaner Shrimp

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hey D, So your going to build a 30" all four sides, 24" tall. Right? I would go glass man. Do a rimless if you have the 3/4" on hand. If not 1/2" would be fine if your using a brace. I'm not as brave as Sas on the 3/8" though :)

Have you thought about overflow placement and build?

deaclauderdale

I'm going sump to maximize space, along with a centered placed trapezoid overflow done by a local shop, and yes Frankie 30in all sides 24in tall. Once I get the pricing from my buddy I'll decide if I'll build or buy.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Any headway with this idea yet dea?

I am curious what color silicone your going to use.

So the overflow is going to be in the center of the tank? This will be a walk around? I have a few ideas on a closed loop for a tank built like this with the plumbing all located on the center overflow and plumbing within. Also, with a donut style tank you can keep some decent sized fish because they can swim around and never come to an end.

I always liked this idea, just never had the room for one.

deaclauderdale

Yes Frankie, I've made some headway. Im going to have it built by the same people who built the 190 peninsula for me as my buddy never got back to me regarding the glass. I'd like to hear your ideas on the closed loop, but I had only planned to run two Mp10's and my return (thinking a quiet one pump). I'd T off of the return as a feed for my Calcium reactor, oh yeah and the silicone will be black. My skimmer will be a Octopus (not sure of size yet) with a custom built sump with fuge. The entire system will be controlled by a Reefkeeper Elite controller Still not quiet sure what T5 setup to use as I want one with moonlights and the ability to run dusk to dawn effects. As far as a donught shape, I too am very limited on space and had initially considered going with a 50 gal cube, but bigger is better so I'm going as big as I can:bluenod::bluenod:

Any headway with this idea yet dea?

I am curious what color silicone your going to use.

So the overflow is going to be in the center of the tank? This will be a walk around? I have a few ideas on a closed loop for a tank built like this with the plumbing all located on the center overflow and plumbing within. Also, with a donut style tank you can keep some decent sized fish because they can swim around and never come to an end.

I always liked this idea, just never had the room for one.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sounds like a good idea. That last tank you had was built very well. I always loved the scaping in that one also.

With a center overflow you have the perfect place to run plumbing and wires. You can drill holes and add bulkheads around the overflow and build a CL right on the overflow.

Basically, one for the water to a pump that can hang under the tank in the cabinet, (yep, hang the pump from it's plumbing so it is suspended by it. This will stop and vibration noise) and then return to two bulkheads or more with lockline adapters to direct the flow. Much cleaner to look at then powerheads.

Just an idea! I am sure it will rock no matter what you do.

Frank

deaclauderdale

Sas I've seem something rather similar at the Long Beach Aquarium in there Clown tank. Hundreds of clown fish swimming in a circular pattern following the flow.
centralized flow in a cube would almost be a Gyre style? fish would love that

Frankie not sure if I'll go closed loop (although the idea is amazing) I have to keep initial cost in check (per Mrs. Lauderdale), and isn't suspending a pump from the plumbing dangerous? Overtime wouldn't the stress and pressure possibly cause a leak or rupture?

deaclauderdale

Frankie help me out wit a diagram so I can really see what your talking about. I just can't figure how i could get all that plumbing into a overflow.

Frankie

RS STAFF
Sas I've seem something rather similar at the Long Beach Aquarium in there Clown tank. Hundreds of clown fish swimming in a circular pattern following the flow.

Frankie not sure if I'll go closed loop (although the idea is amazing) I have to keep initial cost in check (per Mrs. Lauderdale), and isn't suspending a pump from the plumbing dangerous? Overtime wouldn't the stress and pressure possibly cause a leak or rupture?
079.jpg

If the plumbing is done sound it should hold NP. I always suspend my pumps to stop any vibration noise. Here is an ampmaster 3000 that is suspended. It's all in how well a plumber you are really.

The overflow would have to be built oversized to fit it all in there but It can be done. Use 3/4" plumbing. you could even hook up an Oceans Motion to the return bulkheads and get some random flow going.

I will see about a drawing later tonight after work or tomorrow.

Frank

deaclauderdale

Glass guy never got back to me so I placed a deposit on a tank today. It's still a 90gal (36x24x24). I'm purchasing it from a fellow reefer who's leaving the hobby, and hope to pick it up either this weekend or next.

P. S. Saved about $300 clams as well. I'm going to try to pull a few pics from his old threads and post in a new reef chronicles thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk