Bubble Bullies!

Slickcg33

So, Ive had this BTA in my tank for about 6 months now and he is growing like a weed. He spit about a week and a half ago and now i have 2 weeds. I also have a fairly new RBTA which is gorgeous!(3 weeks old) However this RBTA is smaller then both of the split pieces of the original BTA.

I have them all on an island rock in the middle of the tank. The red one seems to stay on one side. Half of the split BTA stays at the top of the rock and the other spit piece just seems to do do laps around the rock and then settles, for about a day, right where the RBTA Stays.

Ive heard that anemones of the same species like to basically Huddle together for safety or cuddle privileges, but it seems that the 2 split piece of my original BTA are bullying the RBTA into the shadows behind their larger expansion and consumption of light.

The best way i can describe it is 2 gigantic trees in a forest shadowing a smaller tree trying to grow.

Any suggestions? will the RBTA be alright and eventually push his way around the other 2 to fight for light? or should i try moving the spit pieces?

seafansar

Go Gators!
Has the RBTA been losing color or looking unhealthy? You might want to move the larger BTA at least until the RBTA has gained some size and can fight for itself. But it's going to be a pain getting it off the rock. Try to catch it while it's moving and not fully attached to the rock, and use an ice cube at its base to get it to fully let go.

lcstorc

I would move the isolated rock near other rocks so they can spread out.
Give them a place to move to and they will likely move on their own.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I say leave it alone. They have the means to move about on their own free will and will do so when conditions are not right. You risk causing damage by moving them. They know what they are doing.

Slickcg33

Go Gators!
Has the RBTA been losing color or looking unhealthy? You might want to move the larger BTA at least until the RBTA has gained some size and can fight for itself. But it's going to be a pain getting it off the rock. Try to catch it while it's moving and not fully attached to the rock, and use an ice cube at its base to get it to fully let go.

Go Gators!
The RBTA is gaining a deeper red then it started with and when its expanded it seems to be able to hold its own. Its just at night when it shrivels up, the other anemones take advantage of the new real estate. The RBTA seems to be shriveled up for most of the day after that unless i tap the BTAs with the end of my green fish net to get them to move some for the RBTA.

seafansar

Go Gators!
The RBTA is gaining a deeper red then it started with and when its expanded it seems to be able to hold its own. Its just at night when it shrivels up, the other anemones take advantage of the new real estate. The RBTA seems to be shriveled up for most of the day after that unless i tap the BTAs with the end of my green fish net to get them to move some for the RBTA.

If you're having to tap the BTA before the RBTA will open, I'd say move one of the two. How high up on the rock are they? Could you lean another rock near the BTA or RBTA, so one could move onto that, then move it?

seafansar

Ok, just kidding. I looked at pictures of your tank. That rock idea probably wouldn't work/fit. Do you even have enough room for three BTAs?! lol. Is that RBTA the galaxy one you were talking about getting?

Just leave it alone, an anemone will deflate and inflate everyday or every other day to flush out their systems. If conditions are not right for the anemone, it will move on its own. Just my .02

Slickcg33

Ok, just kidding. I looked at pictures of your tank. That rock idea probably wouldn't work/fit. Do you even have enough room for three BTAs?! lol. Is that RBTA the galaxy one you were talking about getting?
yes good memory! However i dont have a pic of the RBTA in my sig yet, the one in my sig is the old BTA before it split. It isnt at that location anymore. its in the dead center of the tank which has a column rock, the rock with the white remains of an old coral on it. And yes i think my tank is running out of room! once the split BTA heals up totally ill either get rid of both the split pieces or one to lfs.

As far as an update, i gently tapped one of the split pieces earlier today when i posted this and it seems that that one got small and the RBTA is out instead. 6hrs later!

Slickcg33

Just leave it alone, an anemone will deflate and inflate everyday or every other day to flush out their systems. If conditions are not right for the anemone, it will move on its own. Just my .02

ill just leave them alone from now on and wait for them to heal up to get them a new home

herefishyfishy

Im new at all of this and was surprised to read the anenomes could split. Is that something that you want to happen? I have one that started out white with purple tips, but turned a light brown. Then I read and forgive me if if I am wrong, but it is the color it is suppose to be, just bleached to look pretty for a very short time.