Bubble Algae (Green)

pyxis

I have a few bubble of green algae appearing on 1 specific rock. The only issue i am having is that the algae bubble is almost perfectly placed inbetween 3 of my zoo's.

Whats the best way to rid this without damaging my zoo's?

thanks

EdgeKrusher

Take the rock out and gentely roll the bubble off the rock. I've done it and if you are careful it won't pop and spread to other areas, and make sure you do it out of the tank, just in case it does pop that way it won't have the tendancy to spread. HTH

wooddood

the wood dude
this is timing lol. just 5 minutes ago i had the same thing happen to me. so i took the zoo rock out and ran tap water the same temp as the tank and washed the rock really good to make sure i got it all off and put it back in the tank. here's a pic i posted before,if you look at the bottom right hand corner you can see some of it but it was alot worse.
5fish_pics_024-med.jpg
i also had the same problem a week ago with a gsp rock and did the same thing and in 2 days the gsp's were back in full bloom. hope this helps you. good luck [dave].

wooddood

the wood dude
i'll post apic of them both later when the zoos open back up.the gsp rock is twice as full as the pic above. i just looked at the zoo rock and it's opening up already. i would post a pic now but the wife has the camera in the car with her now so i will later.

Last edited:

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Just to be the devils advocate, not all so called "Bubble Alage" is bubble algae, as in Valonia sp, when it is in the "freee-living-sphere"form. Many may be just Ventricaaria sp, which also release "spores". Then there some of the Derbesia sp, which are in the "Halicystis Stage", which appear as dark green spheres. This is an alternative life sytle, which is completly different from the "turf" stage. The thing on the Derbesia is that it is always grows on crustose coralline alage and it floats when broken off, rather than sinks like the others :D