BTA feeding question

Is it a good idea to feed your nem live gold fish i was told its ok but not sure i like that idea he is very healthy and happy but do have a LTA that is sick bleach white and very small hope i can bring him back to health would post pics but cant seen to get it to work have tryed the photo shop still no luck

Midnight

Mine like peaces of shrimp and squid and I only feed like once a week at most. IDK if I would feed it gold fish but cant think of were it could hurt. I know some people feed groupers and stuff gold fish.

catran

Here, try this for photo's......http://www.reefsanctuary.com/forums...ay-post-pics-photobucket-nanoreefing4fun.html
Also, try feeding your nems silversides (chunks), shrimp, Krill, mussels, squid. From what I read they don't normally need to be fed too often. Some say 2x a month. But, they also said that if he was sick he may need food more often to nurse him back to health. I don't know if goldfish would hurt him but it may not be helping them either. Personally, I don't know if I would feed freshwater anything to a saltwater animal, but that's just mho.

Jetbkk

I feed mine pieces of regular shrimp once a week. The BTA has been growing steadily since I got it a few months ago and really seems easier to take care of than other anemones..

WVUReefer

Ask yourself this before feeding goldfish, minnows, and guppies to any of the MARINE animals we keep..would they eat these in their natural habitat...freshwater food sources lack certain nutrients found in saltwater food sources..

Frankie

RS STAFF
Great stuff everyone :thumbup:

Gold fish are not a good food source because of the oil content they contain. Very bad for most other fish, fresh or salt, to eat. This would include most other marine species and inverts. Crabs may do well on them though being there stupid scavengers that are evil!!! LOL :)
As far as feeding anemones go's, it's not necessary to feed them more then once a month if that. Keep in mind, they filter food out of the water column when you feed your tank. The little bit they get daily adds up to plenty for the week.
I know that some people feed there anemones directly with meaty foods but I do not advise doing this on a weekly basis.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
What type of lighting do you have and how many watts ? What are the dimensions of your tank ? How much flow do you have ? All these factors are important for the recovery of the Anemone.

Bob Fenner who's been in the hobby for a few decades...lol says this:

Feeding/Foods/Nutrition: Types, Frequency, Amount, Wastes

Anemones possess rings of tentacles around their mouths used for prey collection and manipulation. These are arrayed with numerous stinging (cnidocysts) and sticky (spirocysts) cells below their surface. These specialized cells may be found in and on other body areas and assist in immobilizing and holding prey as well as warding off would-be predators.

Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Underfeed, underfeed, don't feed! Most losses in captive systems are the result of over-feeding. How many more times do I feel I need to write this? Bunches! Some anemones have been kept for YEARS without any intentional external feeding. Know your stock! Many anemones (especially larger species) are detritivorous (a polite term meaning they eat poop), planktivorous, and largely chemoautotrophic/photosynthesizing species/individuals that hobbyists try to over-stuff with meaty/prepared foods. My bid for largest cause of loss of anemones is the consequences (lack of oxygen, hydrogen and other sulfide production...) from over-feeding. Cut it out! Within normal temperatures and other conditions, most can and do do well on weekly feedings. If you're going on vacation, leave them alone.

For almost all varieties kept, an occasional (weekly or so) perfusion (wash?) of live brine shrimp, prepared mash of frozen or dried food, or frappe' (as in with your blender) of "fresh" marine food meant for human consumption (shellfish, shrimp, langouste, not-so-oily fish) with or without supplementation. Temporarily turn off your particulate filters and squirt the food onto their tentacular surface.

Some authors suggest the use of beef and other foods unlikely to be encountered in the wild. I do not.

Anemones in Captive Systems

Frankie

RS STAFF
Good stuff Robert. I knew there was proof of my insanity out there I just forgot where. :D

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
There is a method to your madness Frankie, I can vouch for that :yup:

Gold fish are not a good food source because of the oil content they contain. Very bad for most other fish, fresh or salt, to eat.

That's an excellent point Frankie and feeding FW feeders can lead to serious illness. I know either Calfo or Fenner had a great article about this unfortunately I can't find it.

Smokey301

my sebae and sand nems do fine with freeze dried krill and whatever they catch of fishfood, bbs ocassionally