Brain coral damaged

I got a brain coral was damaged before I bought it, I didn't realize it until I brought it home. It's been in my tank for 4 -5months now, the wound has still not recovered yet.

So anyone has any idea? I tried the brush the algae off on the damages area two times. I feed powder but can't really say its eating or not.
Someone suggested to cut the whole skeleton area off so it will have better chance to recover.
null_zps66d2c3f3.jpg

null_zpsd527740c.jpg

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Hmm that is interesting looking. It doesn't look too healthy overall. When you saw you're feeding it powder, what exactly is that, zooplankton? Also what lighting and flow is it under? And last question, do you see it feeding at night (puffed up)?

Hmm that is interesting looking. It doesn't look too healthy overall. When you saw you're feeding it powder, what exactly is that, zooplankton? Also what lighting and flow is it under? And last question, do you see it feeding at night (puffed up)?

its the specturm micro feeder powder. Its under my 6 ATI T5 bulbs, the flow is medium i say.
I dont think Ive seen this guy puffed up ever, no feeding polyps or any signs.

Update, I just cut the dead skeleton part off today, hope that it will help to recover by anychance.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
To me it looks like its lost its colour may be by being in to much light. See what others think, and if you get more advice to move it to a slightly more shady spot then it may help. Try to take a slow approach to this as anything rapid now will not help if its adjusting massively.

Alan

reefer gladness

I'd be more concerned about the bleaching and the lack of feeding, coral seems to have expelled a large amount of its zooxanthellea for some reason or another. Usually this is from too much light or not being acclimated slowly to an increased amount of light. Bleaching can also come from swings in alkalinity, I've found these corals to be more sensitive than most to changes in alk.

I doubt the powder food is doing much good, it's for filter feeders which your brain coral is not. Probably just adding nitrates to the system and making your skimmer work doubletime. I usually feed mysis shrimp when the tendrils are extended or occasionally a small piece of a feeder fish like silversides.

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
As I mentioned earlier, it doesn't look healthy and I doubt feeding is the issue. Like others have said, try to dial back the lighting and see what it does.

To me it looks like its lost its colour may be by being in to much light. See what others think, and if you get more advice to move it to a slightly more shady spot then it may help. Try to take a slow approach to this as anything rapid now will not help if its adjusting massively.

Alan

So you dont think its lack of light? to be more clear, I have 6 T5s bulb, and the coral is sitting at the bottom on the sand bad already. I first thought it was not enought lighting, so I even moved up a little on to the live rocks, I found out that the brain coral has puffed up little bit more compare to on the sand bed. So now is this a good sign or bad?

I'd be more concerned about the bleaching and the lack of feeding, coral seems to have expelled a large amount of its zooxanthellea for some reason or another. Usually this is from too much light or not being acclimated slowly to an increased amount of light. Bleaching can also come from swings in alkalinity, I've found these corals to be more sensitive than most to changes in alk.

I doubt the powder food is doing much good, it's for filter feeders which your brain coral is not. Probably just adding nitrates to the system and making your skimmer work doubletime. I usually feed mysis shrimp when the tendrils are extended or occasionally a small piece of a feeder fish like silversides.
So you dont think its lack of light? to be more clear, I have 6 T5s bulb, and the coral is sitting at the bottom on the sand bad already. I first thought it was not enought lighting, so I even moved up a little on to the live rocks, I found out that the brain coral has puffed up little bit more compare to on the sand bed. So now is this a good sign or bad?
also, I tried taking the coral out in a bowl so that I can feed some mysis shrimp slowly, but seems its not taking anything in at all. Also, is this a brain coral or not? I never even seen this coral has its feeder polyps out yet!

As I mentioned earlier, it doesn't look healthy and I doubt feeding is the issue. Like others have said, try to dial back the lighting and see what it does.

so you think its not lack of lighting, actually too much lighting right? If so, can I move it into a shaded area since i have many other corals?
Is this even a brain coral? Also, should it have feed polyps out or anything cuz I never seen them......

thanks

Mrsalt

PREMIUM

I'd move it to a more shady, indirectly lit spot. Also I wouldn't keep taking it out of the tank to feed either. A top half of a 2ltr coke bottle over the coral whilst feeding it can help.

Alan

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Looks like a Wellso. I would second the lower light and also look for lower flow.

How tall is the tank and how old are the bulbs?

I'd move it to a more shady, indirectly lit spot. Also I wouldn't keep taking it out of the tank to feed either. A top half of a 2ltr coke bottle over the coral whilst feeding it can help.

Alan

Ok, I will move it now, and try your method of feeding

Looks like a Wellso. I would second the lower light and also look for lower flow.

How tall is the tank and how old are the bulbs?

Updates
There is one more person said its too weak light because the coral is turning brown. Suggest me to move the coral up.
Is it true if the coral is turning brown is caused by weak lighting.
My brain coral is actually turning both white and brown at the same time, do you guys think it still too strong lighting?

Alan

I forgot to mention that I moved the brain coral up to the live rock for 3 days, I thought it was not enough lighting. As after I moved up, he puffed up actually! like expended wider and more puffy!
So, is this a sign of he wasnt getting enough lighting from before and now he is happy?