'bout time to jump back in

Jeremy0322

Been out of the saltwater game for a while since I was in college. Now that I graduated and have a job lined up the girlfriend finally gave me permission to set up a small aquarium (took alot of trips to pet stores and pretty pictures to get her liking the idea). I am not new to the hobby though, been around for about 7 years now and have a BS in Marine Biology, so I have a general idea of whats going on, but this will be my first tank under 30 gallons.

The space I have to work with is about 30 inches side to side and 18 inches front to back. There will be no room for a sump/fuge, at least at the beginning of the build, so it will be a self contained system. I have been looking around for a week or so now and just figured I would get peoples opinions on a few different things.

1: What type of system should I go with? I want something with about 8-10 gallons minimum gallons and could probably go up to 20 MAX, but would be best with around a 15 gallon system. That means, from what I have seen, that I can either go with a custom built tank (I do have experience doing this) or a BC14 which seems like a pretty safe bet honestly if I can get it for the right price.

2: Since I wont be using a sump is it necessary to use a skimmer? I know I will want a reactor of some sort but the idea of a skimmer on a tank this small doesnt seem like the most sensible option to me. I am planning on changing water pretty frequently anyways so I just think the cost/reward ratio isnt adding up to me.

3: Lighting suggestions? If I go with a biocube how bad is that stock light setup. I dont want to grow anything too fancy, some zoas and softies would be perfect, but will they be stressed with the stock lighting on this type of system? If I were to go with a custom build (like a 15 gallon long with a false wall) what system would you all suggest.
***note: I DO NOT want to use MH, just never really liked them.

4: Are there any other AIO's out there that I havent come across yet? I would like to stay relatively inexpensive on this, but I know all to well that is usually unrealistic, im just trying to make sure I dont miss anything before I pull the trigger.

Thank you guys for reading and posting, im sure I will have some more questions in the very near future.

BLADEYAMAHA

agcwelcome29.gif
To Reef Sanctuary!

Jeremy0322

Thank you :) This is going to be a much smaller system than I am used too, so it should be a fun time since its completely new, these are my last 2 systems...

That is the 90 I had started, but I sadly had to take it down when I went off to college because the apartment didnt allow me to have one :(
IMG_0067.jpg

And this is the 55 that I had before that, which was ultimately replaced by the 90.
CIMG5640.jpg

Both tanks were drilled and plumbed by me, the overflows were either bent by my grandfather or built out of acrylic by me, and the lighting on the 90 was ALL DIY with overdriven T5, which in all honesty is what I would like to use on the smaller tank as well, I have always had wonderful luck with them and they tend to operate at a cheaper cost than MH. I dont really like PC's but for a tank under 20G it may be worth looking into. I dont know much about LED but the initial investment may lead me away from them :(

I would love to go bigger but with the way the lease here is setup I am going to restrict myself to 20 gallons of total system volume to start with, and then MAYBE down the road I will be able to work a little more into the picture :D

And I just didnt know that since I wouldnt be using a sump/fuge if I would need a skimmer or if I could manage without one. On all of my systems before I have used both but I definitely wont be able to do a sump right at the start and havent really heard wonderful things about small skimmers. I have a feeling that with proper testing, a small bioload, and regular water changes I should manage pretty well, I am trained in this field so that should help a little too :p

Jeremy0322

It was a fun experience, got to learn alot with those 2 tanks. There are a TON of things I would have changed though looking back on them. Im extremely excited to get a small tank going though, words cant even begin to describe it. I just need to make the decision on what system to start with so I can get an equipment list in order and start looking for the best deals as I tend to buy everything used that I can

Jeremy0322

Thanks nano. The more I look around the more I am leaning towards the BC14, it seems like the perfect size for what I want to do

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Same principles small or big (well maybe more frequent water changes small, but that's real easy when 10% is less than 2 gals :)) I am sure your BC14 will be as lovely as your other tanks & lots of fun, be sure to start us a tank thread, with lots of pics ! :dance:

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Oh I remember getting the business degree then going into business
...... oh the lessons you will learn. Welcome to rs n kiss that sweet gal that's cool with this uber time consuming n expensive addiction/hobby

matt sometimes enjoys sarcasm

Jeremy0322

yea, sadly with how everything is right now though I needed a temp job until I find something in my field so I am doing some construction stuff temporarily. Hopefully it will be a fun experience, I know some of the people ill be working with, and if not atleast its money!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
welcome back old friemd :)

Any chance you can fit an RSM130D in your space? I'm running one now and absolutely LOVE it!!

Willie McDaries

hey Jeremy,How the heck you been yungen ? hadn't heard from you in a long time,hope all's well with ya...good to have you back amongst us old farts and getting back in the game again,looks like you survived college,congrats on that accomplishment,I knew you could do it :D

I like your AIO tank idea,have you looked into LED lighting ? no heat issues like with MH but still get the shimmer,plus you can have dimming capability and best or all,no more bulb replacement,at least for 10 to 12 years LOL LEDs have improved leaps and bounds ahead of where they were the last time you were reefing,there's some awesome DIY kits that could fit your needs perfectly,little pricey up front but pay off in the long run...again,welcome back,you were missed :D

amc78cj7

Welcome back. Depending on what you grow, you might not need a skimmer on a nano. Many AIO setups only have skimmers as an option. I'm setting up a custom nano now and am going with LEDs. You can get a custom tank with refuge and kessel LED for the same price as a MH biocube. But the MH will run you $1 / day in electricity which means by the end of the first year you will be out an additional $365. That's my logic anyway...

Jeremy0322

How you been doing Al and Willie, its cool seeing some old names! Sadly I wont be able to fit at RSM in the space :( I have actually been thinking about it alot and I may be going smaller than a BC14, going the route of a standard 10 gallon that I can pick and choose what equipment I put on it. I probably wont go the LED route unless I can find an awesome deal on a used system, just dont have that kind of money for the start up cost. I also wont be using MH no matter what, the power cost alone drives me away from them.

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Welcome Jeremy! IMO with a 10 gallon lighting is no problem with something like a t5 setup. Also with the pictures of your other tanks, I can't wait to see it up amd running! Good luck and keep the pictures coming!

Willie McDaries

How you been doing Al and Willie, its cool seeing some old names! Sadly I wont be able to fit at RSM in the space :( I have actually been thinking about it alot and I may be going smaller than a BC14, going the route of a standard 10 gallon that I can pick and choose what equipment I put on it. I probably wont go the LED route unless I can find an awesome deal on a used system, just dont have that kind of money for the start up cost. I also wont be using MH no matter what, the power cost alone drives me away from them.

I've been doing great....I wish you lived closer,I could hook you up with a few things to get you started back up but shipping would be more than it's all worth

Jeremy0322

yea, shipping is a killer :( There are a few people in the pittsburgh area though so when its time to worry about all of that I shouldnt have an issue finding what I want haha

Jeremy0322

this is what my equipment list looks like that I want to track down...

-10 gallon glass tank

-20" 72W (4x 18W) T5 HO Light Fixture
- OR - (depending on prices I can find...)
-24 inch Current USA Nova Extreme 4x24W T5HO

- (2) Hydor Koralia nano power heads
- Jager 100 watt heater

- 15lbs of LR
- 15lbs of LS

-Some kind of HOB Filter for a fuge, probably an AC70

*Down the road I wouldnt mind having a small skimmer or reactor

***If anyone looking at this thread has any of this for sale feel free to PM me, im going to start collecting equipment as I come across it