booster and permeate pump

drukkosz

Hello all,

I have a drinking RO system (have 2.2 gallon tank), but my pressure is only 38psi and it creates 6:1 waist water. Looks like I need a buster pump.
I was looking at few but they are very expensive around $140. In my search I found a Permeate Pump for like $40. I know that it requires a tank, which I have. I was just wondering if that permeate pump would work? Anybody has any experience with it? My goal is to increase the pressure and lover waist water.
Thank you

Schwa

A permeate pump only works if you always pump water in to your pressure tank. When filling water containers for topoff and change water it is useless. An RO booster pump is really whats needed to raise the water pressure to an acceptable level for RO water production. The Aquatec 8800 booster is probably your best bet. They need a pressure switch which some suppliers provide with the pump as a pkg deal for usually around 135.00 . Other suppliers make you buy the pressure switch and the transformer seperate which can turn it into an almost 150.00 to 175.00 purchase. I have done a lot of reading on RO systems and going off the water pressure you have a booster pump is necessary to get it to work right. Depending on the TDS of the water coming out of your tap you may want to put a larger micron sediment filter inline before the booster to keep it from fouling. There are many expenses in this hobby that really suck like needing a booster pump. One thing that I learned early on in this hobby is spend the money now instead of going the cheap route. In the end you always end up with the more expensive option anyways so save yourself the headache and the money that the permeate pump costs and do it right the first time . This is one of those one time purchases that should last the whole time you are in this hobby. I started out with a very basic Reef/Drinking water RO/DI unit and have been adding different things to it to make it more efficient(dual RO membrane,Booster pump) and Easier for me (inline Dual TDS,Water Volumizer) one piece at a time. Mine now rivals a very very expensive Spectrapure unit in regards to production and rejection rates. My fish and corals are happy ,My coffee is like it came straight from Starbucks,and my drinking water tastes like Evian. For the 350.00 I have in it now I couldnt be happier and I will have this same one forever.