Boomer's PC Dead

Varga

that's exactly right. I've never had a hard drive failure but many many floods have taken my laptops away :)

Luukosian

Well malware and all that can be fixed pretty easily, as well as bad installs and what not(most of the time). I agree that hard drives dont really fail that often but if your worried about it RAID is the way to go. If you have irreplaceable data you should back it up somewhere even if your running RAID. Didn't mean to say that it will protect you from everything. RAID isn't meant to be a backup its meant to be redundancy.

DaveK

everyone I know works for microsoft, I'm a firm believer and it has nothing to do with the stupid stupid employee discounts :)

You have my sympathy :)

It is not possible to debate with someone that has made a religion out of Microsoft. :)

chipmunkofdoom2

If you can help it, dont buy another PC till the end of 09. According to my buddy at Microsoft, something totally revolutionary is coming out which will make our computers obsolete and will save you hundreds.

Haha, the last "revolution" to come from Microsoft was Vista... as someone else said, if it's truly that revolutionary we would have heard of it by now.

If the revolution your "buddy" is talking about is Windows 7, you can buy a new PC now, boomer. It is neither revolutionary nor hardware intensive. It's Vista with all the fixes and updates they SHOULD have given us for free, but instead they decide to make a whole new OS so they can make more money. They claim it will run on slower PCs than Vista would tolerate, and I can somewhat buy it since my 5 year old Acer laptop can run it, but other than that and a few graphical things, it's essentially Vista.

DaveK

Haha, the last "revolution" to come from Microsoft was Vista... as someone else said, if it's truly that revolutionary we would have heard of it by now.

Now you should not say bad stuff like that about Microsoft, even if it is true! :jester:

Personally, I consider Microsoft's series of Windows operating systems to be the best all time computer game ever! You load it up, or upgrade, and you never know what it's going to go, or what will no longer work. They you get to go on a fantastic adventure through the net, finding all the treasures and spending your gold on magic spells to make it work. Such monsters as the blue screen of death are classic and never equalled. :jester:

new reefer 03

not that i have had many nice computers, heak this is my first "new" computer.
anyway i have the XPS 410, i got t for christmas '08, and i love the thing, it takes .05 seconds to load the "newposts" page that seems fast to me. really it has always worked well for me, its fast, and hold my music/photos. i would just recommend a Dell computer, lol.
sorry to hear all of your troubles, none of our dells have ever had anything go wrong. do you abuse your computers, and make them mad? :lol:

michael_cb_125

I have had three Dells. None of them lasted over a year. And we are very careful what we download, and we have all sorts of "protection" software.
Well about 4 years ago I bought a Mac. Now I own 5, and Megan Owns 2. They are the best computers out there. My 4 year old still runs as fast as my new IMac. I will never go back. :)
~Michael

ReefLady

Staff member
Dude, was wondering where you have been. I bet you didn't expect to find yourself in the midst of a PC manufacturer/OS debate, eh? Oh, by the way, I love my Dell laptop, LOL. ;-)
No matter what system you decide on, there are lots of good backup options out there - external hard drive and internet based backups. I have an external HD and also use Upline for routine files (pics, etc.). And dammit, back up those bookmarks - that's the easiest thing to do. And email, contact, yadda yadda. Nobody ever thinks about backup until their system crashes. IMO, some systems are better than others, but they are all ticking time bombs. ;-)
By the way, I think you just over-tax your system. ;-) *BOOM*

We missed ya - best of luck.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Did you say this was a laptop?

Nope tower

I would try the master boot record first, a lot of times if the computer was shut down hard it can become corrupted. Replacing anything on a laptop is a PITA. Vista has a built in startup fix if you boot from the vista disk or you can go to command prompt from there. Will work even if safe mode doesnt.

Nope all it does is go in circles

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Terri

I have a DVD with 2.5 gigs on it from August 2008 for back-up programs (downloaded) and e-mails, etc. but not the bookmarks :( other than 2007. Oh well , I had to many anyway:lol: The real p_iss-me-off is to reload all those programs on the new PC I get in March and redue all those links on the browser face.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Boomer if you ever use FireFix (there are probably similar programs for each browser) you should use "FoxMarks". This way your bookmarks are on any PC that you use FF on and you always have a type of "BookMark" waiting for you :)