Bluespotted help

Tonz of fun

Hey guys im thinking about getting a bsjf. I just put in eggcrate yesterday to make sure he cant jump out. I was told that may not be good enough. What does everyone have for a cover?

lcstorc

I have eggcrate covered by window screen. Others use gutter guard. Pond screen is also popular. Window screen and pond screen are often put in window screen frames.
Be sure to cover the smalles holes. They have been known to jump out of eggcrate so any opening that size or bigger they can definitely get out of. They have also been known to go through plumbing and end up in sumps and filter socks.

Tonz of fun

i have eggcrate now, what would happen to my lighting if i also covered it with window screen? Also would i start having heat issues?

lcstorc

I don't think you will have heat issues. At least I don't. My lighting is T5s where the fixture sits on the center top of the tank so I just have 2 pannels for either side of the light.
I believe people who have to put the barrier between the light and the tank use the pond netting or use gutter guard between the edge of the light and the side of the tank. I know at least one person who has it attached with velcro for ease in feeding and other maintenance. You just have to be sure to remember to put it back.

Tonz of fun

I noticed two things today. I put two layers of eggcrate on top of each other and notice very little change in lighting. If i zip tied the two pieces stacked on top of each other do you think that would work?

Tonz of fun

I just purchased mine. Im going to have it delivered on Wednesday so that will give me all weekend to fix my lid. I think im going to take my currant eggcrate lid and line it with the mesh material you all talk about. I also thought about using vail material. What did you do Gina?

Gina

RS STAFF
Didn't have a BSJ but had a Dusky. The eggcrate was small enough that he couldn't jump through the holes.
I wouls just use the screen that Lynn was telling you about.