Bluespot pair

lcstorc

Well since I am going to have to tear down the 90 to get a new stand, I started to think, (very scary)
I would love to have two bluespots and if I am going to try it now is probably the best time.
What do you guys think.
I will have to empty and re-scape the tank while the inhabitants are in a 10 or 30g tank. Then when I add the fish back in, I add two blues instead of one.
This way nobody will have established territory and they can each build their tunnels etc. I could even get lucky enough to get a pair but I certainly can't count on that.
I know sunshine will be freaked by the move to begin with. Is adding another fish too much added stress?
I would love to have 2 but love the one I have and am really going back and forth on this one. It doesn't help that the lfs had two gorgeous blues when I was there yesterday.
Give me your opinions.
Thanks

bluespotjawfish

Might as well take the plunge now because you know that is what you want at some point. It doesn't get any easier.

Put them in separate containers inside the tank so they can see each other for a while and so you can observe how they act. Then after they settle in release them. You might even want to release them into the tank before you add the rock. I know that sounds backwards, but if you have to remove one because they are fighting you can get it out quickly.

lcstorc

EEK! I would be terrified to add them before the rock. Even when I was just talking about re-scaping I was terrified I would accidentally squash sunshine.
I like the divider thing though. I could put the rest of the fish back then divide the 10g into two partitions and see how they react to each other. One of the things I think is good about this opportunity is that nobody will have home turf. They will both be newbies to the tank.
I'll have to keep thinking about this one. I need my new stand before anything so I have a bit of time to decide.

michael_cb_125

I want two so bad I cant stand it. But I am scared as well. Jose is doing so well that I am scared of adding another. I finally decided to be content with one. I think in the long-run he will be happier. If I knew I could have a male/female pair I would not worry at all.
Good Luck on your decision!!
~Michael

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Lynn, with one BS you have a 1 in 2 chance of getting male or female. When you get the second one you have a chance of getting a male/male, female/female or female/male. That's a 2 in three chance of getting a favorable pair. The odds are not that bad. I say go for it!

michael_cb_125

:) Just shows you are a great Blue Spot Momma!!!:)
I used to worry about adding anything to Jose's Tank. But now that I realize he is not "normal" I can add just about anything. The exception is another BSJF. I know how aggressive he can be toward other big fish, I just cant imagine how he would act toward another Blue.

vdituri

I like Scott's vegas odds.
2 in 3 chance? 67% chance of fun?!
I was only considering the m/f chance, but the f/f works too for a peaceful co-existence.
The timing sounds right too. I do like your idea of having a divider in the 10 to test how they interact with each other.
Is 10g so small that even 2 females will compete for territory?

Lynn, with one BS you have a 1 in 2 chance of getting male or female. When you get the second one you have a chance of getting a male/male, female/female or female/male. That's a 2 in three chance of getting a favorable pair. The odds are not that bad. I say go for it!

lcstorc

Well if I use the 10g it will be with a divider between them to see how they react. Now that I think of it though at the lfs they have 2 in adjacent cubicles and they pay no attention to each other. Not sure if that helps since they are obviously unhappy in their little cubes with a bit of sand.
I really had never thought of having 2 but may just take the opportunity since the tank has to be taken down and re-done entirely. Right now sunshine has pretty much claimed the left side and center of the tank. he will wanter to the right but has no tunnels etc on that side.
I wish we knew more about these wonderful fish. Having just heard of that nano with a pair just has me thinking. If I am ever going to do it, now is the time.
Tough decision. I just don't want to risk sunshine. He seems so happy now, but then again he is going to be disturbed by the tank move no matter what I do. Maybe he would even want a friend or mate.
I hate decisions like this.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Lynn, they are a colonial species, they live in big colonies in nature. There is nothing more un-natural than having just one! I assure you that you will experience and observe a more natural behavior by having more than one. If you do happen to get a male/male combo, I assure you that with their appetites, you will be able to catch one of them in a trap. Then send it to me!:D

lcstorc

LOL
I'll just bring it with me to MACNA. :)
We'll see what they have when we have to move the tank. I may leave my decision up to timing. If the LFS has a good looking one that is eating when we do the swap then I will likely buy it. If not then it was just not meant to be.
I would actually guess the one I have is a female. I have never seen any agression at all except to nab food out of somebody's mouth. Of course there is very little competition in the tank which could be good or bad.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I have a feeling Spotty is female. I say that because she/he is not aggressive towards my Yellow Watchman goby, even when it's sitting right outside the burrow. I can't figure out if they like looking at each other or if they are having a stand-off! I also think Spotty is pretty with feminine facial features.

DSC_0004-18.jpg

lcstorc

Isn't it funny the way we try to determine their sex by their behavior? I do the same with my birds. I am convinced the macaw is female even though she has never laid an egg. Sometimes they don't in captivity.

kathywithbirds

Hey Lynn, I used eggcrate with the tangs. I totally despaired getting Lil Al and Bubbles (hybrid and yellow) to get along, they were gonna kill each other!!! I separated the 55 into 2 sections with the stuff. They could see and ... smell??? ... each other and did some posturing. The other fishes eventually learned to get over the top and then so did the tangs. One day I came home and they were hanging on the same side looking for food. They did push each other a little but now they're schooling!!

And post a pic of the macaw... sometimes I can tell based on features. What kind is it again?

lcstorc

It's a hybrid of a blue and gold and a military called miligold. Ours is of course unusual and is much larger than either of the parents generally are.
Here she is enjoying a treat for being a good girl.
Bascha_rs.JPG

kathywithbirds

She's gorgeous!

and, umm... nope, forget it. Can't tell. I lean toward girl just because of the expression on her face. But that's lending human traits to birds... :D ANYway, me and a friend seem to agree that macaws SEEM to differ in the face a bit -- boys have more featherless white in the face, and the girls... act like girls. The boys are a little more in your face, girls a touch more laid back (but don't make them mad...) All this is conjecture. But my friend Cheril has a few and has raised numerous others and has been right more often that not.

BTW, there's at home kits to do sexing now. And you don't have to bleed them (hate that, you could really hurt the birds if you don't know what you're doing.) You send away a molted feather and they get the DNA off that.

lcstorc

I've heard of the feather sexing but since we have no plan to breed her we figured it made no real difference. If she ever lays and egg we will know for sure. Otherwise it is just a guess. BTW She just turned 11. She hatched on our first anniversary.