Birds nest turning white! Help!!

john

I bought a birds nest frag about 2 years ago and the things been doing great ever since.I woke up this morning and 3 or 4 stalks on it have turned completely white and it seems to be spreading.Is it dying? I recently started spot feeding it dts phyto in the last few days.could this be the problem? havnt done a water change in about a month but everything else seems fine.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I bought a birds nest frag about 2 years ago and the things been doing great ever since.I woke up this morning and 3 or 4 stalks on it have turned completely white and it seems to be spreading.Is it dying? I recently started spot feeding it dts phyto in the last few days.could this be the problem? havnt done a water change in about a month but everything else seems fine.

What type of lighting do you have and how many watts ? Has anything changed in the tank like new bulbs, if not new how old are they ? What is your parameters particularly cal/alk ? Where is the birdsnest placed in the tank and how far is it from the bulb ? Which supplements are you using ?

Just an FYI most photosynthetic corals don't eat phyto but zooplankton.

Jorgens

I seem to see more people haveing trouble with that damned DT's plankton crap. I'd stop using it right away and start some serious 30%ish water changes.

Wasn't that the assumed cause of Blue Eye's troubles????

Sorry to hear about your troubles and I'd quite that stuff right away. I haven't seen a positive post about it yet. It seems within the last few weeks people are having issues and they all seem to revolve around that DT stuff.

Hopefully a few of the experts will drop in....Good Luck till then sorry i can't offer more...

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
Do you mean like this?

bird.jpg

I bought this birdsnest as a frag and it was growing nicely in my tank until one day it started to lose tissue(RTN). Within 48 hours it was gone.

Never could figure it out... everything else in my tank was unaffected.

john

thats what it looks like.started to have problems as soon as i started with the dts phyto.things been healthy as a horse for 2 years

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
would it help if i cut of the bad part?hopefully stop the spreading?

Yes... immediately!!!! You might be able to save some frags. I've got acro frags that were saved from a bleaching mother colony. Electrical wire cutters work well... just snip away the bleached parts and remove from your tank... do not leave any bleached remnants behind. If you have epoxy you can set the frag in it or attach it to a piece of rock rubble with super glue gel.

Here's an example of a frag I set in epoxy

Before

baby.jpg

Now

DSCN0732.jpg

Here's a Monti frag using super glue gel.

DSCN0736.jpg

jg2269jg

i would make sure you take not only the bleached part but also a little of the good tissue so it doesnt start at the base of the frags and i would use just super glue gel on the end so you dont stress the tissue with the epoxy.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I find it difficult to believe that DT's Phyto is responsible for this bleaching or RTN episode, even if it's spoiled it's nothing your skimmer wouldn't be able to handle unless you dumped a whole bottle. Also if there was a serious issue with the Phyto your other inverts would've been affected. Have you checked your cal/alk levels ?

JFK_Jr

PREMIUM
The unfortunate thing about losing an SPS coral to tissue necrosis is that many times there is no good reason for it happening. :tears:

I have had it happen to me over the years on seemingly healthy specimens that were growing nicely. It's easier when you know something is to blame, because at least you can correct the problem.

One thing you can do to help ensure your coral survives is to frag it. I still have frags of SPS colonies that I lost over the years growing in friends tanks.

cheeks69

Wannabe Guru
RS STAFF
I too have had several bleaching and RTN episodes most of them realated to lighting and one incindent because of a ph that was held by suction cups came loose and 1100 gal were directly hitting a beautiful Tri-color Acro. I understand what your saying Jay but John has provided us with no information about his tank besides the bottle of Phyto and IMHO it's very difficult to pinpoint a possible problem.

Snelly40

i had a very similar experience, was doing great, woke up one day and half of it was white, next day gone :(

dragonladylea

Thought I was going to have the same problem with mine, I had a couple of spots show up overnight, so I quickly did a 10% water change and so far so good, its been two weeks now and no more bleaching. The only other thing I did was to stop dripping mississippi limewater since I was thinking this was raising my Mag for some reason past normal levels.

ScottT1980

In cases of RTN, I have found few things that were able to halt the tissue necrosis beyond fragging, even water changes. I have also seen it occur from seemingly idiopathic ("no good reason" or no identifiable cause) origins. However, my suspicion although not all that novel, is that a stressor is generally the culprit. The problem on the hobbiest end is that these stressor can be very ellusive...

Take er easy
Scott

john

sorry i took so long to get back.I have 3x400 watt mhs,birds nest is half way down on my 180 in a pretty good current.I add coralvit,tech1 iodine,and strontium on a weekly basis.my calcium is at 440 and my alk was right on last i checked.I have done the same routine over the last 2 years with no problems.seemed like this thing started bleaching when i started feeding dts phyto(maybe just a coincidence).Thanks for all the feedback folks.im doing a water change right now and im going to frag off the nest when i get home from work tonight