Bingocallers White RSM 250 with DIY LED & Sump

I am actually thinking about pulling the whole thing apart again. I need to install a switch so I can turn of the fans - I dont want them running when I am in the room because of the (yet small) noise they make. As I see it I dont care if the LEDs last 50000 hours or 35000 ;)

gummbyjim

Hey man. Great Build. I was reading all your post and you really did do a great job. I did an LED build on a 28 gallon nano cube and I have a red sea sitting in my shed just waiting for me to do something with it. If you don't have a controller already take a look at reefangel.com. I have a reef angel hooked up to my 28 gallon and this thing does everything. It even dims the LED's over the course of a pre determained length of time. Also if you wanted to you could re program the thing to do thunderstorms and cloud cover. Turst me for $219 its well worth it. In no way am I affiliated with reefangel I just think its such a good product for a very cheap price. I have my entire tank hooked up to my iphone and I could control it anywhere in the world. It comes with 8 relays that you could program individualy so that would take care of your fan switch problem. Take a look, let me know what you think and if you have any questions let me know.

Deannkirsty

Hi Great Job!

Where did you buy all the gear from and for how much?
I've been looking everywhere and can't find anywhere to buy it in the uk
i know your from denmark but id like to get a price anyway
thanks dean

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif

Sorry I have been away for some time

I have added since last time
# a Red devil 850 skimmer instead of the Delctec MC 500
# a 18 w UV
# a Red devil D2000 return pump instead of my Aquabee3000 up

I have been wroming around the tank so much that the values are gone bad - last week my PO4 was 0.11!

So now its on with the VSV

I will take pics of the sump soon :)

uncompromized

Hi Bingocaller, great job.
I am currently trying to do something similar with my RSM250 and i am thinking how to go about connecting the 4 drivers to the relays.
You said you connected all 5 drivers together and then to one of the relays is that correct? There are only three relays in the RSM250 hood and i am afraid to connect two drivers onto one relay thinking that it will damage it.
Could you please be kind enough and and help a fellow reefer by elaborating how did you go about this.

Thanks in advance man and once again great job

Basically I pulled out all the wiring in the original top that I did not need. The only thing you need is the that powers the Night leds and the fans and one of the relays. The rest you can just get rid of.

After that I connected all the new LED drivers as stated by the manufacturer. Each driver can drive up to 20 LEDs. All the whites (10000 k and 6500 k) is on two drivers - all the blue are divided on 2 drivers and all the exotic (15) are on the last driver.

The drivers were all connected into one wire and connected to the relay - so it is powered by the original timer. JOB DONE! Now we have light!

The heatsinks was predrilled - so it was just a matter of drilling holes in the old t5 reflector and bolting it on.

The white wires is to the potentiometeres so you can control how much light you want on the string. I just clipped out one of the pins in the fans guards an put them trough there as you can see in the pictures :)

The heatsinks get very hot - so you need the fans!

It was actually build by me and a friend of mine. I did all the 230 v electric work and he did all the work of getting the LED position right and putting them on with wire

Total hours spend: About 11 hours

uncompromized

Thanks for your quick reply Bingocaller...
I did read your post initially but i just wanted to confirm that it is possible to connect more than one driver to a single relay...

GregT

Hey Bingocaller,
Love your description and pics of your LED install.
Do you have pics of your sump please?
Cheers
Greg