Big Al's "Mountain Reef"

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Al, my wet side (I think) went crazy about a year ago. It started making a loud grinding noise, but was still working. Eventually it just stopped. I was so mad that I spent so much money and it died after 18 months, that I unplugged it and never tried to fix it. It really is the best for my anemones. You've got me thinking that I really should fix it. I guess I'll just order a new wet side![/quote

I would go ahead and get a new wetside. Mine is working as good as new. I forgot how much flow/action the MP10 really does for a tank of this size. My next step is integrating the MP10 into my ProfiLux so it's controlled 24/7 and works in conjunction with other functions (Feed, Storm etc)

Stay tuned for the 40b!!!
Tuning in!! What's your status with it right now?

I'd be afraid to dose vinegar!

Vinegar is pretty safe when used "safely". It's actually very good for a tank in small amounts.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
where do you get that laser from?

I bought it from Survival Laser but they can't sell "complete" units any longer in the US. If you'll look on "fleabay" you can usually find them there complete. Just make sure it's at least 1.4W or more.

catran

Al, my wet side (I think) went crazy about a year ago. It started making a loud grinding noise, but was still working. Eventually it just stopped. I was so mad that I spent so much money and it died after 18 months, that I unplugged it and never tried to fix it. It really is the best for my anemones. You've got me thinking that I really should fix it. I guess I'll just order a new wet side![/quote

I would go ahead and get a new wetside. Mine is working as good as new. I forgot how much flow/action the MP10 really does for a tank of this size. My next step is integrating the MP10 into my ProfiLux so it's controlled 24/7 and works in conjunction with other functions (Feed, Storm etc)

Tuning in!! What's your status with it right now?

Vinegar is pretty safe when used "safely". It's actually very good for a tank in small amounts.

Yes, I think I will buy the wetside. I really don't have enough flow in the 130.
I'm taking down all the tanks and setting up the 40b with my Mitras LED and my Profilux controller this summer.

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
With anything that spins continually I think that a 18mths is good going. Just think how many times that prop has rotated, in a quiet harsh environment. Think wet sides are moderately cheap replacement, but I may be wrong.

Alan

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
I only purchased the "propeller" portion and it was $32 so not bad at all. I think the whole wetside is around $60 and pricing should be the same across the board unless you can find a "Special/Coupon" somewhere.

The new propeller is super quiet too. When the pump spins down to less than about 70% the unit is almost silent.

catran

Ah, I don't have a problem with most powerheads lasting only 18 months (I have some that I've had lasted over 3 years), but of I pay over $200, I expect it to last a little longer than less expensive ones. Don't get me wrong, I love my mp10, it was awesome when it worked!

Ours blew up one night in the tank. We had a snail get up into our mp40. Stripped the plastic screw threads so it wouldn't stay together. I called and told them the thing just fell apart and they sent me a new wet side. Great customer service.

Matt

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
They have given me some great customer service in the past so I would at least give them a call and see what they offer.

I honestly didn't realize how MUCH this thing does for flow in the tank. I sat last night mesmerized by the flow of the "Wave" moving my GSP (most of back wall) around.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Well it's time for an update....

( Below is copy/pasted from another thread where someone asked about my newest coral )

I'll have to give it a close look when I get home tonight... but I'm afraid it's not the news we like to hear.

I've yet to figure out exactly what happened but my guess is for whatever reason my Tunze ATO filled the tank with too much Kalk water and this caused a massive precipitation in my tank. I woke up one morning and even in a completely dark (6am so all lights off) I knew something was wrong...

Every square inch of the tank... including the glass was white... it looked like someone had dumped a box of fireplace ashe into my tank over night. I've spent the week doing everything I know to do (Water changes till I'm sick of water changes, carbon, filter floss, water changes... water changes etc) and everything looks terrible. I've not seen any of my Anemone since this happened and all of my frogspawn is nothing but skeleton. My zoas are all completely closed as it just about everything in the tank. Both firefish are MIA as well as my tiny hawkfish.

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Thanks Willie. Thank goodness for the back-up sensor on the Tunze ATO or my floors would have been wet and no telling what my SG would have been. Since I keep it at 1.026 the extra Top Off only took it down to 1.024 which is no big deal in and of itself.

Once everything settles down I'll be better prepared to see what's left and what isn't. It happens once in a while and hopefully we learn from it to prevent the same thing from happening again later.

Willie McDaries

how bad did it drive up the pH ? kalk ODs are usually bad news,hopefully you'll be able to recover some of your livestock and get the water back in check

Mrsalt

PREMIUM
What a nightmare mate, really gutted for you and Fingers crossed them fish reappear soon-don't give up hope on them. The positives are what to keep in mind:

1, you got to it fairly quickly within a few hours
2, ph would have been lowest at night
3, fish are not confirmed dead
4, you havn't totally wiped out.
5, salinity wasn't severely affected
6, you had the salt and water to cope with a lot of water changes

Now in my book that's pretty good damage limitation, and with what's been done I'm sure it'll bounce back mate

Alan