Bgouges Rsm 250 on zeovit

Bgouges

That is a TOTM worthy tank!
Thanks oxy!

Tank looks bloody fantastic mate! :D Can't wait to see what you do with all that extra room as well!! Looks like everyone is upgrading and do major work at the moment ;) Me included haha
Cheers wrangy! Ive noticed your upgrades and have been following your thread with a keen eye :) sorry to hear about your loss of hawk hawkins and co :(

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Cheers wrangy! Ive noticed your upgrades and have been following your thread with a keen eye :) sorry to hear about your loss of hawk hawkins and co :(
Thanks mate and yeah it was a huge bummer losing them but I'm getting the two new hawks who have paired nicely already tomorrow, so some hawkfish loving will be back in the tank again!

Oxylebius

Sorry to put this out there... but can two of the same fish replace two others that you had? I know that with cats and dogs this is hard to do, hard to replace a beloved pet and member of the familyr. But with fish? Maybe not for snails and other inverts, as most don't do anything different from the others (not to lessen the importance of their existence), but with fish? Do you think that the personalities will be differentl enough to see differences between your first pair (that you were attached to) and this pair?

Oxylebius

I stare at my tank so much, that loosing critters does make a difference. And replacing them isn't the same. Not to lessen your replacement fish...... I'm probably just digging a hole I can't climb out of here. So I will stop. I've had some losses lately, won't elaborate, but pondering it all lately.

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Sorry to put this out there... but can two of the same fish replace two others that you had? I know that with cats and dogs this is hard to do, hard to replace a beloved pet and member of the familyr. But with fish? Maybe not for snails and other inverts, as most don't do anything different from the others (not to lessen the importance of their existence), but with fish? Do you think that the personalities will be differentl enough to see differences between your first pair (that you were attached to) and this pair?
I stare at my tank so much, that loosing critters does make a difference. And replacing them isn't the same. Not to lessen your replacement fish...... I'm probably just digging a hole I can't climb out of here. So I will stop. I've had some losses lately, won't elaborate, but pondering it all lately.

It's actually a question I've already been asked a couple of times so no harm. I don't for a second think that my new pair of hawks have replaced my old pair. The new pair, while the same species and sharing similar traits, they won't be the same fish and their behaviours and quirks will be different. To me, Hawk and Hawkette Hawkins are very much their own fish and I loved them as dearly as I do my cat. Nothing can replace that.
The reason I bought the new pair (yet to be named) of hawkfish is because I absolutely adore that particular species and for me they represent something I love about keeping a reef, not because I want to replace my hawks in any way shape or form but because I love the species and truly feel the tank is a little empty without the craziness that flame hawks bring. I looked at some other species of hawkfish as they all share similar characteristics but they're all a little too big for my liking and don't share that level of personality. Buying the new pair while a really happy moment for me was also filled with a lot of sadness as they're not "my hawks" and as they grow and mature in my tank they will become my hawks as well but they will never be Hawk or Hawkette Hawkins.

To answer you question of personalities, the answer is yes. I knew Hawk and his girlfriend Hawkette well enough that I'll be able to spot the differences of the fish. While they have the same over-arching traits, the quirks and particulars will never be the same. I knew where Hawk and Hawkette loved to sit, sleep, eat and the way they interacted with each other, the new pair may be similar but they will have difference and given the amount of time I spend with my tank and my fish I will notice the differences and this will mean that the new pair will never be able to take away from my memories of Hawk and Hawkette as they're not the same fish :) They also look slightly different, I don't know if that's just me or they actually do but looking at them is looking at completely different fish. This will sound really odd but it's a lot to do with the eyes, I can look into them and see they are their own fish and not the same as Hawk and Hawkette.

After all that, I'm truly looking forward to building a bond with my new hawkfish, a friendship that will hopefully bring me the same amount of joy over many years to come.

I'm really sorry to hear you've had some losses though :( it's the worst feeling ever, I'll be honest I completely broke down and collapsed when it happened to me. Nothing will ever replace that loss but there will always be a new friendship and bond that can be created from such a loss. I honestly see my fish and corals as part of my family and they get the same amount of attention as my cat gets (and she gets A LOT lol). Sorry to babble on so much but I wanted to explain it all for you :)