best sps for a mixed tank

chunky

Hi all. I've been getting interested in trying a couple sps corals in my tank. I was wondering which ones seem to do the best (as far as survivability and color) in mixed tanks. I have a lps dominated tank with some xenia, zoos, and a toadstool. I already have a blue/green psammacora that is doing well. My tank is 39 gallons and has a 150W halide light with actinics so I think flow might be my largest concern (I also run carbon passively 24/7). Thanks for your' help in advance!

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
Monti's are very nice and if you look around you can find some very nice colors to choose from. I'm planning to try some myself soon. Do you test your calcium and alk regularly?

chunky

I do test my ca and alk regularly. I keep them stable around 400ppm and 3.1 meq for the most part. I do like the montis so I'll have to give one a try. Is it just wishfull thinking on my part to want to get a nice acropora (I've had my eye on a ORA granulosa for some time:bouncer: )?

michael_cb_125

Poccillopora are relatively easy SPS corals. I got mine as a small 1 inch frag. Now it is larger than a softball. It was one of my first corals I added to my 100 gallon tank. If you like the acroporas, the Bali Green Slimer is a good starter staghorn IMO. Also the Birdsnest corals are pretty SPS.
~Michael

chunky

Thanks for the suggestions Michael. I saw a pink poccillopora a while back at the lfs that was crazy bright. Very cool looking. Maybe I'll give it a try if they get another frag in.