Votes: 5 4.1%
  • Stomatella

Votes: 2 1.7%
  • Other

Votes: 2 1.7%

• Total voters

Gina

RS STAFF
I'll have to try and see if I can find any at our LFS. Last week we went to purchase some (thanks to this thread) and we were only able to come home with three small ones. We still need to get some more. So, I'll keep an eye out for the large ones.
Thanks!

addict

I voted Astrea, because like others have pointed out, they're just workhorses. I also like the Mexican Turbos, but they're dumb as a post and just plow right through stuff... I sat and watched one one night breaking a frag loose from my rock so it could reach in and get a little patch of algae. :D

I've also found that if you have some type of rubble in your sand, both astreas and turbo snails can right themselves by picking up pieces of rubble until their foot is heavy enough to pull themself over... it's pretty fascinating to watch. :)

Man nassarius's all the way and we can never keep enough at the store we always sell out! Turbos do nicely on the glass but they are like little bulldozers!! Go nassariuses!!

sharks

Contributing Member
I voted Trochus.
Works as hard as a turbo but can flip themselves back over if upside down.

Gina

RS STAFF
Just got back from the LFS with 6 more nassarius snails. That makes 9 now. Still need to pick up more though. Threw em in and within 3-5 minutes they had all dug themselves in!

skipm

I really like the trochus snails for algae and the nassarious snails for sandbed. I also have turbos, astrea, margarita, cerith, and conchs. I have also had abalone but don't currently have one. I think you need a variety of snails since there really isn't any one snail that will take care of everything. The trochus and nassarious vibex are my favorites though. Skip

sarah

i must have some stupid nassarious snails then...they clean the algae off the glass :O

but thats what i voted for they do a great job on my sand bed

Sarah xxxx

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Nassarious snails my pick good workers not to mention come feeding time watching them blast up out of the sand bed is neat I've got about 80 of them you wouldn't know it to look at my tank until I feed first there snouts pop up and seconds later there every where

Mike

I have heard that nassarius snails dont eat algae, that they are scavengers and will only eat dead organisms is this true.

Rougiem

Ichthy Inquisitor
PREMIUM
I voted for Turbos but I like the narssarius as well. I have had these jumbo turbos I got form my LFS about a month ago and they do an incredible job! Only thing ~ They love to rub up against my max jet pump. Anyone else seen them doing this? They do the same with my PH. Drives me nuts when I am sleeping so I move them away from it. Maybe it feels good for them? :rolleyes:

Cheers!
:columbo:

SeaTreasures

I personally like the Nassirus snails because mine eat everything and anything. I don't have to worry about algae or anything that died because the snails eat it :)