Been a while?w/FTS! also some thoughts...

jnohs

It has been a while. But I am still reefing. And yes of course I should be doing more water changes. I have been having a lot of luck with my tank. Over the last year now that I have a proper reef ready tank, With sump,skimmer,chiller,decent lights,diy carbon and phosban chamber. But recently despite all my posting against over feeding or even feeding at all. I have really had major succes by simply by stoping feeding my tank. I have maintained a healthy holistic aproch to my tank and just let it fix it self and "Dont feed" and do water changes. For 1 year now this has worked so well. But I dummied up and acidently bought "snake oil". It was a ph balanced mix to help maintain 8.3 ph . I dont even now why but I started adding it at half the minimum for about 3 weeks. And then one day I looked at my tank and exclaimed "wow where did all that alge come from". It did not grow over night but it did creap up on me and was every where. Then I relized what the culprit was...THE snake oil!!! In the garbage now. I imediatly did a 40 gallon water change. and I did another 25 gallon last week. And now I am alge free.

Any way my point is I really belive that leaving your tank alone, dont add anything, dont feed, consistent water changes are some of the abasloutly most important healty habits necessary for a successfull reef.

I would like to say that I do add rock salt for calcium and baking sode for alkalinity but allways on the minimal amount necessary to just give a little extra nutrirnts but never even close an over dose. i think it is called a reducing inviorment as far as how I add my 2 addatives.

I have given some pics.

Thanks.........

DSC_7503.jpg

DSC_7505.jpg

DSC_7506.jpg

DSC_7513.jpg

DSC_7515.jpg

DSC_7516.jpg

jnohs

well I d not feed my fish. and the tang nibbles on stuff here and there..

ok I put a 1/4 x 1/4 inch cube of my home made ref chile in at the most once a month. Also as soon as I see no alge at all. I mean non I will feed for about 7 consective days to get a little alge growing for my tang. then on to a large water change. I do belive there should be some alge in your tank. because with out any that means vthere is definalty a deficet in minerals needed for alge growth and that same deficet colud be slowing the growth of the corals. I try to keep my tank at a minimal oxydation mostly reducing ion exchange program. so in my tank there will allways definalty be enough ions or minerls but never to much. as for food for my starfish,blenny,clown,chromis and anemoie I dont try to feed at all. and they are all plump. I havent put food in about 3 months now.

jnohs

I think I have over a hundrede species of coral in there maybe more and about 400 colony/individual corals. mushrooms,zoos, ect....