BC29 Bulb pic request!

Hey, I know a few of you have done the nanocustoms PC light upgrade.

I was wondering if any of you are willing to share some full tank shot pics?
What bulbs and how many you are running?

I'm really wanting to do the upgrade I just don't know which bulbs I should run (daylight, 50/50 or actinic) or how big of a difference its going to look (and yes I know its going to be brighter lol) .

Thanks,

This is a pic of my wifes, it has 3 X 36 PC's All 3 are the 50/50 NanoCustoms PC's. These are brigter than my old BioCube factory PC's

The 3rd light really makes a diff, the Pic dose not do it justice. IT is brighter than my 29g BioCube with 150w HQI. And all my corals loved me for the upgread.

If you get added heat, add a cheap 80mm fan ($4.00 Fry's) to the rear lift up hood, to blow air over water, you will be able to tie it into the NanoTuners kit very easly.

If I were to do it again, I would use 2 50/50 and one All Atinic

PS the tank/Lights/Stand etc is going for sale this week for $280 on creagslist.

Attachments

• BioCubeLaurassmall.JPG
    BioCubeLaurassmall.JPG
    30.5 KB · Views: 69

zigginit

i have the 3 light upgrade aswell. i went with the 2 10k and 1 actinic bulbs. i also bought the cheap $10 bulbs from nanotuners and i hate them. to me the light looks yellow. i think this is a case of you get what you pay for. i replaced my lights because the old stock lights looked bad after almost a 8 months. when i poped the "new" lights in they were brighter in terms of more light but it was yellowish light. i want crisp blue white light not yellow crap.

nanotuners has said they are coming out with a new 12k PC buld in the 36w size. the have it for pre order sale but it has been that was for the last 6 months now almost. they keep pushing it back and then they push it back again. thats pretty crappy if you ask me. i wish they would just ship it already or stop making fake promises.

here is my lights installed. damn kit didnt even fit right i had to "fix" it. and whats with drawing power for the new ballast from the old ballast that is not rated to deliver that much power. im not sure on that but it seems like the 2 bulbs are only being powered by half the load they should have. not sure though. maybe its just badbulbs. they look bright when you look at them directly but the look over the tank without actinic just seems kinda dim yellowish white light.

IMG_1962.jpg

here it is with the lights on. with the actinics on it looks good. i need to take a pic of the 10k's only to compair. whatever next time ill get good lights.
IMG_2559.jpg

Wow, I really do love this forum...EVERY question I have is always answered and with pics! lol

Thanks, Mike & Zigginit.

I'm gonna do this upgrade for sure now. I just wonder what 3rd bulb I should run? I have a 10k and an actinic that are brand new, I'm just really curious to how another actinic would look. (bad idea?) I've also thought about the 12k now that you mentioned it.

Love to see more pics guys.

How was the install for you?

zigginit

well i wouldnt do 2 actinics, that would not be as much par light as if you used a good 2nd 10k. the way i run mine is the actinic light is run off one switch and is positioned to the back row of the light set up. the the other 2 are the 10k's and are run off one switch. i use a timer to make the actinic come on first around 12 noon before the 10k's at 1pm. then the 10k's shut off at 9pm followed by the actinic shut off at 10:30pm. the R2 moon lights ( which you should get because they are so great with the colors it unreal, its better then a black light party) well they come on at 10pm to run untill 2 am. (when i come home drunk late at night i love to look into the tank) then its just dark the rest of the morning.

Yea I have my light time staggered with almost the same exact times lol.

I was thinking that it just may be to much blue if I did 2 actinics. I'm really curious to this 12k bulb you mentioned...I may just end up running one of those with my 10k and actinic?

Well, heres my tank currently...factory lighting :( ..... I just installed my custom sump for it today!! I have an extra 15 gallons now! lol

_MG_30982.jpg

Big Jay

I had the 4-36w Nano-customs hood for a while. I did. 1 10k, 1 50/50, 2 actinic. I liked it. The 10ks are so white that the extra blue was a very good upgrade IMO.

haha i see a watchman. lol. nice cup coral

lol yea he's an interesting fish, he stares at himself in the glass and trys to scare the refection. I have a pistol that paired with him as well which is nice to watch.

Thanks, I just got it a little bit ago and it seems to be doing well so far...although I may frag him down because it's a little larger than I thought.

I had the 4-36w Nano-customs hood for a while. I did. 1 10k, 1 50/50, 2 actinic. I liked it. The 10ks are so white that the extra blue was a very good upgrade IMO.

Any pics? I was curious to that upgrade as well. Where you able to support any SPS?

Big Jay

lol yea he's an interesting fish, he stares at himself in the glass and trys to scare the refection. I have a pistol that paired with him as well which is nice to watch.

Thanks, I just got it a little bit ago and it seems to be doing well so far...although I may frag him down because it's a little larger than I thought.

Any pics? I was curious to that upgrade as well. Where you able to support any SPS?
I don't have pictures of the old BC29. They did support SPS. Bulbs every 6 months kinda suck though.

zigginit

i can support sps with the 2 10k and actinic. i dont mean they grow fast but they stay alive. it does not make for the best sps tank but i have some just because they look very cool. i find it better to buy a sps that is already grown out to a size you like and then just have it live in there because it will take forever to grow in these lights.