BC 29 Disaster! Help!

mikelam

I'm not sure that this is the right forum for this but since there isn't one for disasters I'll post here.
Yesterday, we spent the day in our nearest large city (3 hour drive) and came home exhausted, only to find that the side of my BC 29 had a huge crack in it. The crack went from where the sand bed meets the back of the tank almost all the way to the front, angling upwards. The carpet is soaked, and I haven't even gotten to look at the furniture that is sitting on the carpet next to the tank. What a mess! Anyway my fish, corals, 'shrooms and live rock are in buckets and an ice chest and I am in a quandary.
Do I spend $400 dollars for a new BC 29 that I found nearby (only a 1 hour drive) or give all my critters away and wait for a better tank? I don't have a lot of faith in these BioCubes as I have read other similar tales on this forum, but I love my critters.
Darn it! What would you do?

islandboy

If I had a tank crack on me and heard stories of other similar ones doing the same thing, I probably wouldn't chance it again. You were very lucky not to have a complete blow out. I'd try and find something more reliable. In the meatime, you can possibly do what I did to keep all of my livestock alive while I did work on one of my tanks... What I did was buy an appropriately sized rubbermaid container and set it up like it was an aquarium and put everything in there till I was ready. Lights, skimmer fans...The whole nine yards. Not sure how much livestock you have and even if this is possible for you, but just an idea. Here is a picture of how I had things setup temporarily.

Good luck and sorry to hear about your troubles. :)

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

InLimbo87

If you're going to go with another biocube, why not just order a replacement tank? Nanotuners doesn't appear to have any at the moment, but somewhere else on the web may have just the tank only for < $100.

Either way, good luck! Sorry to hear of your troubles.

mikelam

Thanks, for the help. My tank is an ice chest right now and looks a lot like yours islandboy, except I forgot to put a towel down first.
I have spent the last hour internet shopping for a new tank! This is no fun!

Reddog170

I have heard or several of these doing that. Makes you wonder why. I am glad you saved the livestock. Think you are ready for a 90 gallon now? They are not that expensive a tank and look way cool. Shaun

Frankie

RS STAFF
That stinks.
Do you have a local club maybe? You could post for emergency help. Maybe someone has a tank sitting around.
islandboy's setup will work very well for the time being. Good call that one.
Makes me wonder if there is a flaw in this particular tank, because like Reddog said this is not the first or second one that has done this.

JandR

Craigslist is always a good option and maybe buying a few 10 gal tanks to set up for a while kinda like a qt would work. Also if things dont turn out good maybe you can find someone around where you live that could handle the livestock for a few weeks while yo get your tank restarted. I have seen people on other threads in reef clubs doing that if they have to break down a tank they will get a fish sitter. Dunno if thats an option around where you live but its worth a shot.

mikelam

Thanks for all the help!
Sadly, I decided to take all the occupants of my tank to our local pet store and trade them away. I couldn't find a replacement tank or a babysitter for the critters. I have to stick with a small tank because theres no room for a larger one. Not many options as I live in a small town, I tried to find solutions as far away as a 3 hour drive and came up empty handed.
I can't believe that I miss the fish and corals as much as I do!