Auto Feeder??

Can someone tell me of a good auto feeder was looking at the Rena LG 100 but have read mix reviews do not have a aqua controler to run if of off will have to use the timer on the feeder. Any info would be great
Thanks.

sk8rdn

Has been struck by the ban stick
I do not, but I believe Glenn or Cat posted something on one about a month or so ago... If I find it, I will link it.

....Salt Creep Is Everywhere!....

PSU4ME

JoePa lives on!!!
Staff member
PREMIUM
Yeah, Cat had some info on a "good one"....not sure how it panned out but maybe a PM to her is in order!

DaveK

Can someone tell me of a good auto feeder...[?]

In my opinion, "none of the above". On a reef system you need to feed the fish, and other livestock a variety of foods, and depending upon what your feeding, the food size can be from dust to large chunks. This just isn't possible to do with any auto feeder. In addition, most fish should get some decent fresh or frozen food on a regular basis.

The one exception I can thing of is when you have fish that need to be fed almost all the time. Anthias damsels are one group of fish where this may apply. Then an auto feeder may be needed.

If your going on vacation, most systems will do just fine for up to 2 weeks with out being fed. Feed just before you leave and when you get back.

Unless you have one of the exception fish, save your money.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
In my opinion, "none of the above". On a reef system you need to feed the fish, and other livestock a variety of foods, and depending upon what your feeding, the food size can be from dust to large chunks. This just isn't possible to do with any auto feeder. In addition, most fish should get some decent fresh or frozen food on a regular basis.

The one exception I can thing of is when you have fish that need to be fed almost all the time. Anthias damsels are one group of fish where this may apply. Then an auto feeder may be needed.

If your going on vacation, most systems will do just fine for up to 2 weeks with out being fed. Feed just before you leave and when you get back.

Unless you have one of the exception fish, save your money.

+1^

........welcome to my mind

catran

Yeah, in a perfect world I would love to be able to feed everything while I'm on vacation. I definitely agree that there are a variety of foods that I feed weekly. I only feed my nems once a week, but of course they really don't need to be fed. Since my fish are still pretty small, I'd rather feed them flakes lightly, once a day while I'm gone. They can wait for their mysis.
I never ordered the feeder, opting for another BTA instead. Now, they will be overfed by the person taking care of my tank and I'll get home to a ton of needed water changes in order to clean it up. Seriously, I should have bought the feeder...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I realize you have to feed a variety of foods and i do just not everyday i work long hours so it makes it hard to feed them same time every day.
Thanks for the info and advice you guys are great!

Tempset

Yeah, in a perfect world I would love to be able to feed everything while I'm on vacation. I definitely agree that there are a variety of foods that I feed weekly. I only feed my nems once a week, but of course they really don't need to be fed. Since my fish are still pretty small, I'd rather feed them flakes lightly, once a day while I'm gone. They can wait for their mysis.
I never ordered the feeder, opting for another BTA instead. Now, they will be overfed by the person taking care of my tank and I'll get home to a ton of needed water changes in order to clean it up. Seriously, I should have bought the feeder...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Excellent point.