Attaching Corals

kathya0321

Does anyone have a specific glue they use to attach corals to live rock. Also any suggestions on the best way to do it if they are on plugs.

Thanks,

Oxylebius

Super glue gel (makes sure it is gel not the regular) w/cyanoacrylate in it.

I've used both of these products as well - both are fine to use. The putty give off clouds and depending on how much you use it can cloud the water, I ran carbon and didn't have any issues with the fish.

In general I find all the gels are more brittle and the putty is more secure.

reefer gladness

Unless it's an encrusting type coral that's going to grow over the frag plug I prefer to remove the coral from the plug and mount straight to the LR. Personally don't care for the look of a bunch of frag plugs in the display tank.

Any gel type CA should work, I mostly use something called IC-Gel that's marketed as a coral glue.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Super Glue Gel works for small jobs & coral putty plus a little super glue gel for bigger jobs with very uneven surface areas on LR.
One thing you need to be aware of is curious fish & shrimp who might try to "check it out" before it cures enough to not get on them when they pounce on it. :nono:
My cleaner shrimp seem to be "on top" of all I do in the tank these days :yup: ....I think if I tried gluing anything now, I'd have to make sure they were busy eating a piece of food for a few minutes. :D

Oxylebius

Agree with comment above, all my newly glued frags have a ton of little shrimp prints in the glue - they just can't keep their little claws off it until it dries. And I've had a clownfish eat a glue bubble before, it is still alive luckily.

Diana the frags coming your way tomorrow all have lots of tiny prints in the glue. :dunno: Not much I could have done about it.

I also take all my sps off the plugs before I glue them to rocks.

Tankbro

I got mine at home depot... its just a gel super glue... MAK SURE IT IS WATER RESISTANT THO or you will be stuck in a nasty web of sticky gel. in my case I don't glue while under water because some of those types can be toxic. Don't be scared of toxins after dying though.... Hope I helped.... :dunno:

kathya0321

Should you bring the water level down to the level you are attaching the frag to? Or is it ok to put glue on the frag, and attach it to the LR while under water?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Should you bring the water level down to the level you are attaching the frag to? Or is it ok to put glue on the frag, and attach it to the LR while under water?

You can use super glue gel underwater. Take the frag out, dry the base, add super glue gel, attache to rock.