At wits end with this algae...

medicern

:banghead:
So my tank has been up and running for over 5 months. When I started I was purchasing RO water from a LFS. Some time ago, I took some of my filtered tap (well) water into be tested for PO4, since at the time I didn't have a test for that. Anyway, I'm constantly battling algae. Be it bubble algae (which the Emerald Crabs won't eat) or the cyano or the green and brown stuff growing on the glass and substrate. I think the tank looks like crap and my lovely bride won't even give the tank a look anymore because of it's appearance. With this thing in my living room, I'd really like to to look clean. Yesterday I purchased an API PO4 test kit and it showed very little if any color change which would indicate a low measurable level of PO4. This morning I hung a bag of Kent Phosphate Sponge on the drain line to my sump which I'll let run for 24 hours and retest. Also tested the NO2, NO3 and ammonia all at zero. Alkalinity seems to be fine according to the dip stick I have for it.
My lights are on about 10 hours a day, with LED moonlights after that.

My question is this. Could there be something in the well water I'm not testing for which is feeding this algae?

I suppose I should go back to RO water and after a few weekly 5 gal WCs see what happens. Any thoughts?
:banghead:

Robzilla

Yeah man go back to the RO. If possible use RO/DI. Also, I would shorten your light cycle.

Do some big water changes with the best possible water and siphon anything that you can.

FLnative

:time:I recently upgraded to a 90 gallon and its been up for four months now, also been battling green hair algae. I took out all my rock and scrubbed it with a tooth brush, i also stop topping off with tap water and bought a RO DI filter. I also added a phosphate reactor. If you test for n02, n03, you wont find any because algae feeds on that and ammonia rapidly, so they'll never show up on tests. Get rid of as much of the algae as you can and cut your light time down for a while. Its not a over night fix and it sound like a lot of work, well thats because it is.

Good Luck

BigAl07

Administrator
RS STAFF
It could be a number of issues or a combination of many. Since you're adding well water (Which is VERY good usually for humans to drink) there's no way of knowing what chemicals, minerals etc you're adding to your tank. Keep in mind we're dealing with a Close Loop system so even small amounts of "ingredients" can accumulate over time.

Here's what I'd suggest:

• A) What are you feeding how much and how often?
  • B) What is your current stocking list?
  • C) Describe your set-up (# live rock, # live sand, filters, etc)
  • D) What temp does your tan run?
  • E) Start heavy water changes which include cleaning of the rock and top most substrate immediately before WC.
  • F) Evaluate your salt mix and water source.
  • G) Evaluate your lights (age etc) and light schedule.
  • H) Is the tank getting any natural sunlight (could be reflected from a wall or floor even).

Since you have so many different algae going on I'm going to venture to say it's food, water source and possibly husbandry related. Don't fret over it. Don't give up and no matter what don't do ANYTHING drastic. It will take time, work and patience but it can be defeated. It didn't happen over night and it wont go away quickly.

Hang in there :)