Arrangement of Media with Media Basket and Tunze

magnetar68

can you please tell me the arangement of media in your intank media basket/StevieT i also did the tunze9002 StevieT set up in my RSM130D and am not getting good flow through the basket and am on day 3 and am contstantly adjusting the tunze height and still NO skim but my tank has become cloudy ???? all the perimeters are good so im stumped and the wife is not happy with the changes I MADE ! ANY HELP WOULD REALLY BE GOOD ABOUT NOW

[I moved this to here so I would not hijack another thread]

First Level (closet to the top of the water): I have 2 pieces of filter floss (the one stevieT sells on his site, it seems to give better flow than what I found at my LFS)

Middle level: Purigen 100ml

Lower Level: CHemiPure Elite 11oz bag)

THen my Tunze next to the media basket (I now have this in my sump, but that's how I had it).

If you are having flow problems. some things to think about:

(1) Are you pumps working at full efficiency (i.e., do they need a cleaning and vinegar bath)

(2) Are you using a large size of any of this media?

(3) Do you have any other media anywhere? (I don't have any in the return pump section)

(4) Is the water level problem related to evaporation rates? (I don't use the little fan in the back because I noticed too high a rate of evaporation. This will also be determined by the humidity where you live and the degree to which you agitate the surface of your tank water with the return pumps).

(5) Is the cloudiness due to an issue where the flow rate is just one (or not a) contributing factor.

StevieT

RS Sponsor
Re: Arrangement of Media with Media Baset and Tunze

(6) tie the chemi pure bag to the middle shelf

IMG_7669.jpg

(7) Replace Filter floss as needed. Newer tanks or even older tanks with a new media basket will collect a lot more detritus.

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Raymo -

*******Edited title to correct spelling of Baset to Basket*********

I hope you don't mind me doing that. :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I'm terrible at proof reading too. Seems like I only catch the errors after I submit. Then I have to go back into edit and fix them. :)

magnetar68

I don't know if others saw this as an issue, but I also noticed a decrease in flow when I had my heater in the heater slot between the mini-sump and the return pump chamber, so I had moved it into the mini-sump.

mzreenie

Magnetar - I had the very same problem when I changed over to the Tunze/media basket combination. I found that the filter floss (and I only used one not two like you say you are using) clogs up very fast. I started changing it out once per day and sometimes twice per day if I had stirred up debris in the tank. The skimmer does take at least a week or two to break in. Try not to adjust it too often. It takes several hours after each adjustment of the knob to actually see the results.

And I eventually ended up putting my Chemi-Pure Elite back into the rear chamber. I found that it was too hard for me change it out when it is in the media basket. I am not strong enough to remove the magnet, and if I just try to lift up the entire media basket, I can't untie the Chemi-Pure and tie on a new bag by myself. I would need a helper. So for me it is easier in the back chamber.

StevieT

RS Sponsor
Mzreenie- you can always attach the tunze to the rear of the tank with an extra magnet on the rear of the skimmer