Aquarium Water Testing (AWT)

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I decided to do a one time water chemistry test from Aquarium Water Testing to compare their results to my results using Salifert tests. In essence to see how close I am interpreting the color charts. I have always thought interpreting the color charts to be highly subjective. So here are my results.

Boomer, have at it!:D

AWT Summary---------------------------------My results
Ammonia (NH3-4)---Good---0.007 mg/L------------0 mg/L
Nitrite (NO2)---------Good---0.024 mg/L------------0 mg/L
Nitrate (NO3)--------Good---3.2 mg/L---------------20 mg/L
Phosphate (PO4)-----Good---0.10mg/L--------------0.03 mg/L
Silica (SiO2-3)-------High----1.3 mg/L
POTASSIUM (K)------Good---3.88 mg/L
Calcium (Ca)---------Low----345 mg/L---------------340 mg/L
Boron (B)------------Good---4.0 mg/L
Molybdenum (Mo)---High----0.3 mg/L
Strontium (Sr)-------Good---10.8 mg/L
Magnesium (Mg)-----Good---1248 mg/L--------------1410 mg/L
Iodine (I)-------------Good---0.05 mg/L-------------->0.02 mg/L
Alkakinity (Alk)------Good---3.20 meq/L-------------2.6 meq/L

I have heard mixed reviews about the AWT facility, but it's an interesting comparison. I do not supplement anything but a 2-part ionic solution at this time.

vdituri

No it's typed wrong.

Molly B. Denum. I went to school with her. lol

Sorry, another trace element.
Didn't know I should even be concerned with that one?

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
they make race car parts from it, and its REALLY expensive! Nice job there Scott! looks like you tests are close as horseshoes

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Alright, I'll ask the dumb questions.

What's Molybdenum?
That's what I said! Apparently it's a trace element that comes in the salt mix. I surely don't add it. Here is what the AWT provided:

Molybdenum is found in many common additives and at highly elevated levels in most salt mixes and so a vast majority of reef tanks demonstrate a level 10 to 50 times higher than natural sea levels. 0.12 mg/L is the upper toxicity limit for Molybdenum, the point at which negative effects can manifest themselves. You should suspend the use of additives containing molybdenum. If your level is significantly higher than acceptable you may benefit from a partial water change to reduce this level, though your salt mix may be a contributor to the elevated level itself. Molybdenum is important for biological processes of bacteria, and may be of some benefit to corals as well. High levels of molybdenum are known to encourage blooms of slime algae or cyanobacteria.

Perhaps this is why we have unexplained cyano outbreaks, since this is not something we routinely test for. So I need to find a salt mix that is low in Molybdenum? Furthermore, if it's this easy, why don't the manufacturers of salt mixes leave this trace element out?:dunno:

I'm all worried about my nitrate, Ca, Mg and Alk and I get a report back that tells me a trace element, that I don't think about, is high. Consider this significant or not?

vdituri

And wheres all this silica coming from?
Are you using Morton's table salt again?

I would love to see how much a Molybenum test kit costs. lol

You should send a sample of newly mixed salt to see what level it's in there.
If that is the saltmix level, then a waterchange ain't gonna help.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
I don't know how much they cost, but I don't think I would spend my money on something I can not pronounce without sounding like I had a hair lip!:lol:

goldenmean

I use the ESV B-Ionic 2 part solutions.
Component no.1 Alkalinity lists in its ionic content : Molybdate

Scott could you not just dose more of the Calcium component (part 2) to get your calcium up? You dont have to dose the 2 part solution in equal amounts.
Your corals and clams must really be using up the Calcium in your system

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Good thinking Jeff! I'm going to go look at my Two Little Fishes brand 2-part solution for Molybdate.

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Mine doesn't list Molbdate.:dunno:

Victor, to answer your question about the Silicate, it must be time to change my RO/DI filters.:D

bluespotjawfish

That's pretty cool Scott. I wouldn't want to know mine. That would mean I would have to work more if I got a bad grade. It looks like good news for your nitrates though!

Dentoid

Smile Maker
PREMIUM
Thanks Lorraine! I always wondered why my anemone and LPS were doing so well. I've never measured my nitrates under 20ppm! Just goes to show you how we miss read these tests.

Boomer

Reef Sanctuary's Mr. Wizard
Molybdenum is found in many plants as a trace element and is used in some biological processes. When Ron did his test on very advanced testing procedures on about 30 reef tanks he found the Molybdenum was about 10 x NSW.

I don't believe the AWT test results at all, as many have that have looked at them. They often give funny values that just don't make any sense. They do not want to tell us what their testing procedures are and we question many of them. Awhile back some guys sent some split samples out, one to AWT and the other to ENC Labs, a certified seawater testing lab and also made comparisons with like 5 different test kits. Many of the AWT results where no better or had the same error issues a test kits. They said, in short, they don't know what they are doing as a lab. Meaning, the AWT results you get are no better in accuracy than a test kit. And just like a test kit where some results are Ok and others are off. So, just pretend they are another brand of test kit. ;)