Aquarium stands

dltt

Hi all, I am looking at craigslist and noticing some used 55 gallons. My idea is to pick one of these up and a 29 for the sump/refugium. I can plumb the tank and sump myself. My problem is I really dont have the tools (table saw etc:) to build a "display" stand. So, my question is, does anyone know of a website that sells stands that are suitable for a salt/sump setup. Thanks!

Frankie

RS STAFF
If you have a hand saw, drill and some screws i can guide you through a fast easy stand. Send me a pm if interested.

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
You can always just go to your local fish store and buy one, the factory stands are suitible for a saltwater setups.

Frankie is right you don't need fancy tools to make a nice stand.

catran

Also, a lot of lumber yards will cut wood to size for you. I have a home improvement store (Crafty Beaver) in Chicago that will cut any wood they sell to the size you need it.
Also, look for a local reef club in your area. They often put aquarium equipment for sale on their forums. I just Pm'd a guy about one in my area.
There are several sites listed on the internet that build stands. I have no idea where you are and it may be just as expensive to ship the stand as it is to have it built for you. Unless you have lots of $$, your best bet is to pm Frankie and build your own. He built an awesome stand and canopy for his.....

DaveK

Hi all, I am looking at craigslist and noticing some used 55 gallons. My idea is to pick one of these up ...

If you can, look for something like a 70 gal tank, or larger. It's got the same frontal area as a 55, but it 18 inches front to back. A 55 gal tank is on 12 inches front to back, and this makes the tank almost impossible to aquascape decently. You could also consider a traditional 50 gal tank (36x18x18) or a 40 gal breeder, which is a couple of inches shorter than the 50.

Also, think about the TCO (Total Cost of Ownership) The tank is among the least expensive parts of a reef system. You will end up spending a lot more on the filtration and lighting.