Aquaman's 29g Bio-Cube

aquaman3680

Hello,

Some of you may have seen that I was planning on setting up a 14 gallon Bio-Cube, but I ended up going with the 29 instead. The money difference was not enough to keep me from doing the upgrade. I feel like I would be kicking myself later if I did not do it!

Anyways, the tank was set up yesterday with 20 lbs. Flourite substrate mixed in with one 5lbs bag of gravel. The Bio-Cube comes with 2x 36 watt PC's, so that is the lighting on the tank which equates to a little over 2 watts per gallon.

Here is a picture of the set up-

D30_2332.jpg

A couple of questions-

I know on the previous, 14 gal tank, some people thought the Flourish Excel would work alright. Would it be the same case with this tank? Also would you recommend leaving the bio-balls in the tank or is there something better to replace them with?

Thanks any input on the tank is more than welcome!

Matt

PEMfish

I always recomend a better carbon source but if you don't want a real serious tank you can see how it goes. The Hydor mini CO2 system seems like a good match for your tank.

The bio balls never accomplish what they are meant to as much as other media, ceramic rings work good for bio media.

PEMfish

I looks like your off to a nice start.
I recomend some background plants; vals would work good.

It looks like you have some java fern planted in the substrate. They need to anchor themselves to rock or wood, left in the substrate it will die. You can tie it to the wood with some thread.

aquaman3680

I looks like your off to a nice start.
I recomend some background plants; vals would work good.

It looks like you have some java fern planted in the substrate. They need to anchor themselves to rock or wood, left in the substrate it will die. You can tie it to the wood with some thread.

Which one is java fern? :)

Also, I would get the hydor one but it is too expensive at this point in time!

aquaman3680

Upon the suggestion to do so I went back to the store and got a few more plants. Here are the pictures, please excuse the cloudiness!

Also I took individual pictures of the plants, if someone could ID them that would be great!

D30_2367.jpg

D30_2374.jpg

D30_2375.jpg

D30_2376.jpg

D30_2377.jpg

D30_2379.jpg

D30_2380.jpg

D30_2382.jpg

D30_2384.jpg

D30_2356.jpg

Skunk Cory Cat

D30_2348.jpg

Betta!

Matt

PEMfish

Also I took individual pictures of the plants, if someone could ID them that would be great!

D30_2375.jpg
I believe you have a dying specimen of baby tears ( Micranthemum umbrosum ). They require strong light, if you can supple that yours will probably come back. It is a differnt species than the terrestrial one seen in gardens. It might also be dwarf rotala ( rotala rotundifolia )

D30_2376.jpg
That would be dwarf hair grass ( Eleocharis parvula ). It doesn't require as much light and, as well as the baby tears, makes a nice foreground.

D30_2377.jpg
Red Tiger Lotus ( Nymphaea zenkeri ) is what I believe that to be. It will grow large red leaves, if it ever begins to grow.

D30_2379.jpg
This is a bit of a tough one, I would have to say ( Crytocortne albida ) but am not for sure.

D30_2380.jpg
Bacopa. One of the most common stemmed plants this one is hardy and fast growing. I have enjoyed it myself and recommend you keep it in the far back.

D30_2382.jpg
Most likely an Anubias of some type.

D30_2384.jpg
Thats a val. Its young so I cannot say for sure but it looks like a corkscrew val.

Hope that helped

aquaman3680

Thanks! I will get a updated FTS in a few min.

No CO2 I have e decided to go against it and stick with the flourish excel. It seems to be working, and there is in no way a lack of plant growth! So why change it if it isn't needed?

Matt

aquaman3680

Not the best because of the glare, but I will take a new one tonight. The Madagascar Lace has put off a couple flowers now!

D30_2436.jpg

D30_2443.jpg

Matt