Anyone using AI SOL LED Lighting? I have a question...

reefnrog

I would like to think it covers the tank pretty good, although I think 2 would be better. There is a store, by me, that has one over a 30" tank and he is supporting SPS. I could buy another light but I choose not to at this point in time. It is mounted 10" above water line but I was thinking to go with all 70* optics lowering it to about 8" AWL, making a top canopy for my tank and lining it in reflective aluminum.
Here is a FTS with it at 75%. Please let me know what you think still! BTW I have since rearranged rock work and coral placement..

NewImage-1.jpg

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Nice setup!

No one is saying you need to rush out and buy another light so please don't take it that way. One thing you can also do is call AI and ask them how many lights they recommend. I've spoken to them quite a few times before and after purchasing the units. They are nice and won't BS you from my experience with them.

reefnrog

Nice setup!

No one is saying you need to rush out and buy another light so please don't take it that way. One thing you can also do is call AI and ask them how many lights they recommend. I've spoken to them quite a few times before and after purchasing the units. They are nice and won't BS you from my experience with them.

Thank you for the comment on the tank! I will try to get a new pic of it with new coral placement and rockwork. I understand that you didn't want to make it seem like I needed to purchase another light soon. I will proabaly in a few months after I have the wedding and honeymoon and I move into a new house.

I have spoke to Justin many times at AI. They have exceptional support and are very curteous. He recommended 2 also, but said I can get away with one for softies and other hardier corals. I plan on moving up to a 150 when I move and most likely getting another, minimum, 2 but most likely 3 units.

As far as settings on intensities and timers, what do you think?

steved13

PREMIUM
I would like to think it covers the tank pretty good, although I think 2 would be better. There is a store, by me, that has one over a 30" tank and he is supporting SPS. I could buy another light but I choose not to at this point in time. It is mounted 10" above water line but I was thinking to go with all 70* optics lowering it to about 8" AWL, making a top canopy for my tank and lining it in reflective aluminum.
Here is a FTS with it at 75%. Please let me know what you think still! BTW I have since rearranged rock work and coral placement..

IMO First we should slow down, you're talking about changing optics and lowering the fixture, when you're running at 50% for about 45 minutes per day and that's going through a glass top. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, I don't mean it to. I'm just trying to point out you have a lot of options here that don't depend on much effort or expense. And IMO if you don't maximize and figure out what you have now you can't know what you need.

Yes I have one light over my 65G. I was told I only needed one if I wasn't planning on SPS which I don't. It is mounted length wise with the length of the tank.

I think you can get by with 1 fixture, as long as you keep it in mind when placing corals. I have 4 units over a 250 DD (5' long) and it's plenty, I could probably get by with 3, and I ran it with 2 for a short time and all was fine. All that said 2 would be better.

Here is the lighting program as best as I can remember:

8:20am 25%w 28%B ramp 1 hour
9:45am 33%w 38%B ramp 1.5 hours
11:45am 45%w 50%b ramp 2 hours
2:30 pm 35%w 40%B ramp 2 hours
5:15pm 20%w 26%B ramp 1 hours
6:30pm 0%w 5%B ramp 1 hour

I'd start by moving to something like this:

8:20am 30%w 33%B ramp 1 hour
9:45am 35%w 40%B ramp 1 hour
11:45am 45%w 50%b ramp 1 hour
2:00 pm 55%w 60%b ramp 1 hour
3:30 pm 45%w 50%b ramp 1 hour
5:30 pm 35%w 40%B ramp 2 hours
7:15pm 30%w 33%B ramp 1 hours
8:30pm 0%w 5%B ramp 1 hour

This raises all of it and gives you a little punch up, but for less than 1 hour and on the lower levels moving from 30% to 35% probably isn't going to effect much as either is still probably pretty low on the par meter. If your corals look the same or better then after a week, I'd open the "55 60" time frame to 2 hours. If they look better still you could try inserting another program at 65 and 70 for an hour in the middle of the 2 hours.

Just some ideas.

Hint, if I remember using the AI controller, it's easier if you skip every other programming point (so start with 1 3 5 7 9 ...) this will allow you to input an event between 2 others without having to redo all the programming. You may still have to modify a coupl of other to accomodate, but you don't have to styart completely over.

HTH

reefnrog

IMO First we should slow down, you're talking about changing optics and lowering the fixture, when you're running at 50% for about 45 minutes per day and that's going through a glass top. I hope that doesn't sound harsh, I don't mean it to. I'm just trying to point out you have a lot of options here that don't depend on much effort or expense. And IMO if you don't maximize and figure out what you have now you can't know what you need.

I think you can get by with 1 fixture, as long as you keep it in mind when placing corals. I have 4 units over a 250 DD (5' long) and it's plenty, I could probably get by with 3, and I ran it with 2 for a short time and all was fine. All that said 2 would be better.

I'd start by moving to something like this:

8:20am 30%w 33%B ramp 1 hour
9:45am 35%w 40%B ramp 1 hour
11:45am 45%w 50%b ramp 1 hour
2:00 pm 55%w 60%b ramp 1 hour
3:30 pm 45%w 50%b ramp 1 hour
5:30 pm 35%w 40%B ramp 2 hours
7:15pm 30%w 33%B ramp 1 hours
8:30pm 0%w 5%B ramp 1 hour

This raises all of it and gives you a little punch up, but for less than 1 hour and on the lower levels moving from 30% to 35% probably isn't going to effect much as either is still probably pretty low on the par meter. If your corals look the same or better then after a week, I'd open the "55 60" time frame to 2 hours. If they look better still you could try inserting another program at 65 and 70 for an hour in the middle of the 2 hours.

Just some ideas.

Hint, if I remember using the AI controller, it's easier if you skip every other programming point (so start with 1 3 5 7 9 ...) this will allow you to input an event between 2 others without having to redo all the programming. You may still have to modify a coupl of other to accomodate, but you don't have to styart completely over.

HTH
Wow thank you so much for your help and guiding me through my problems. i really appreciate the personal attention RS members give to one another. I really hope that I can help people out on here, as I have been helped.

You really have no idea how much you are helping me...My fiance thinks I'm crazy an obsessed because of this light and she bought it for me for Christmas.lol (little does she know I probably need reefaholics anonymous)

I am going to try this schedule and see what happens over the next week. I will keep you informed!

reefnrog

Hey Steve I up'd the percentage on the LED! Corals look amazing today. My multiple zoo colonies went from 25% open to 75% open now. My mushrooms are huge as well as the bubble coral. My candy canes and duncans really opened up. I haven't seen my candy canes this puffed up in a long time..
Here are some pics for your enjoyment!
FTS
c3.jpg

Candy Cane
c4.jpg

Duncan
c1.jpg

Bearjohnson

PREMIUM
RS Ambassador
Super pics!

Tank looks great! I'm glad it's all coming together. Keep the pictures coming please.

steved13

PREMIUM
Glad to hear it helped!! Keep an eye on the corals, as long as everything stays positive, go ahead and bump it up further in a week or so.

Chiptrueblood

He yall!

I just installed one black Super blue over my 72 gallon Bow. Ive read and read on here about the perctages yall recomend. THANKS! i dont know what fellow aquarists would do without people like yall. :bouncer:

steved13

PREMIUM
He yall!

I just installed one black Super blue over my 72 gallon Bow. Ive read and read on here about the perctages yall recomend. THANKS! i dont know what fellow aquarists would do without people like yall. :bouncer:

Welcome to Reef Sanctuary!! Post a pic, I haven't seen the black version yet. Does it have the new wireless controller, or still wired?