Anyone need anything made out of pyrex?

BigJay

BigJay

very nice.. good luck. I was so inspired by the contest I went out and bought a purple with green tip branching hammer yesterday. I want to enter mine in my own contest :).

BigJay

been meaning to add this. For those of you with the 12 mm droppers. If you buy some tubing that will fit over the nozzle(pointy part) you can remove the bulb and use it as a mini siphon vacuum. Great for removing little spots of detrius on the sand bed. Regular airline tubing may be too small to fit over the tip but the larger airline tubing may work. Since all my droppers are made by hand the tips aren't a universal size for me to recomend one size tubing.
I have one little spot under my powerheads that tends to collect so I use mine to skim the surface of the substrate. Most other tubes are too powerful. Its not perfect and you must go slow as not to clog it but give it a try.

BigJay

If anyone has not received thier droppers please let me know. USPS is killing me. Some people are receiving them in 2 days and others 10. If you ordered anything more then 10 days ago and did not receive it yet ,do not continue to wait. I will send a replacement free of charge.
I really hate to have to ship these things with tracking numbers as it will at least double shipping costs,but if USPS continues to show incompetence , I am not sure what other options I have.

Do you think its possible to make a dropper with a larger bell shape at the bottom.

Something that could go around, say a dendro polyp, or scoly mouth, and protect it long enough from flow and other hungry critters?

Something ive wanted for a long time, but never knew anyone who could make it...till now.

BigJay

I do have some ideas for that very purpose.

the first is make a ball with a tube large enough the dropper will go right down into and the other is an o ring on the dropper with a bell that can slide up allowing you to pick up food out of a cup then slide the bell down in place on the o ring.
What sounds easier to use to you guys? I wanted to make one for my stonies so I could feed them marine snow without dosing my tank. I was thinking the stand alone tube with the ball or bell the dropper would slide down would be the easies so I could put it in place slide the dropper into it to feed and let it sit for a while.
You guys tell me what you'd like to see and i'll make it.

BigJay

Just a heads up I only have enough 9mm tubing for 2 more droppers and I probably won't be getting any more 9mm tubing for a while. I use 12mm everyday so those will continue to be available.
I've changed the nose slightly on the newest droppers that went out last week and this. So if anyone who got one doesn't mind giving me some feedback on how they work for you , I'd appreciate it! Its probably difficult to even notice but I think its a good improvement. :thumbup:

Frankie

RS STAFF
Hey Jay, I need something made for my dosing. I will draw it up and post it here and tell me if it is something you can do. Or better yet, maybe I should post a picture of how I am doing it now and see what kind of idea you come up with?

BigJay

No Sandy I sure didn't. Since my construction company had to close the doors glass has become my full time job. Its hard at the end of the day to want to do anything fun and new. Plus I am still trying to market some products nationwide which takes way too much of my time. I'm becoming the cliche starving artist. At least the weather is beautiful! Its actually cold enough to make me want to have my torch raging to warm me up. :bluenod:
Frankie definetly show me a pic of what you got going on now. I'll see what i can do with it.

akindbro4u

I was looking at your reef balls. Can you make one with just the big hole on top. and two small holes on the sides? I want someplace for my jawfish to go, that i might be able to see him. I thought i lost him a year ago, and i was cleaning under some rocks today, and there he was alive and doing great. Maybe he will make something like that a home, and i might see him more often than once a year.

BigJay

I was looking at your reef balls. Can you make one with just the big hole on top. and two small holes on the sides? I want someplace for my jawfish to go, that i might be able to see him. I thought i lost him a year ago, and i was cleaning under some rocks today, and there he was alive and doing great. Maybe he will make something like that a home, and i might see him more often than once a year.

sure can. How large do you want the ball and the holes?

akindbro4u

maybe a little smaller than a tennis ball. The hole in the top about the size of a quarter or so, and the sides don't have to be big, just don't want a dead spot. He won't stay long like that. Maybe about pencil size. Or Maybe a big hole on one of the sides. and the top smaller, more like a cave. What do you think?

BigJay

sent you a PM.

Going to be at an art show this weekend so if I don't answer PM's till Monday thats why. Also some orders may take a few extra days right now. Its holiday time so it means I am making tons of holiday glass. Busy busy month. :) Wish every month was December. :bluenod:

Saltysteele

PM sent, Jay.

also, ever make any glass "urchins"

just had some baby banggaiis show up, and would like something like that for the next batch.

BigJay

I was asked about it in the passed , but honestly never got around to attempting it. The reason is that the spines would be thin for glass and may be easily broken. If someone is ok with that I would give one a shot. I would need to know exactly how large it you would want it , how many spines and how far apart so I can make up a sample to get an idea of pricing.

ALL RS MEMBERS who have or plan on purchasing a dropper please read

Since I have received so much positive support from this forum I'd like to extend this warranty only to RS members. The most likely part of a glass dropper to be broken ever would be the tip. If for any reason you break the tip of one my droppers , as long as I am an active member here, you can send me the dropper along with return postage and I will repair the tip for free!

Thanks again for all the love and support everyone! I am very proud to be a member here.