Anyone Keeping Jellyfish?

ThinkJellyfish

Hi,

I keep jellyfish myself. I write the blog "Raising Pet Jellyfish". I get a lot of questions from people who want to start keeping jellyfish. Now I would like to see who is keeping jellyfish! Show off any purchased tanks, DIY tanks, species etc. Also, if your looking to build a jellyfish aquarium, I would be glad to help. :)

Comb jelly 2.jpg

DSCN0681.jpg

ThinkJellyfish

Here is the closest FTS I have. DSCN0347.jpg

The big chamber on the left is where the jellyfish are kept. A screen of the right wall of the chamber keeps them from getting sucked into the filter area. That PVC apparatus is a spray bar with a valve to control flow. The spray bar will cover the screen with a wall of water. The bottom of the tank is rounded so the laminar flow from the spray bar will create a circular flow in the tank. This allows the jellyfish to stay suspended in water constantly. The rightmost chamber is just a small tower of bio balls and a pump. I built this system from a regular 10 gallon aquarium. :)

ThinkJellyfish

Jellyfish generally eat plankton in nature. In captivity, jellyfish are often fed baby brine shrimp. Some jellyfish have zooxanthellae like corals, so they can obtain food that way too. Life expectancy depends on the species. The jellyfish shown in the tank is a moon jellyfish. They live for about a year. The jellyfish above that is a comb jelly, and they live a few months. I had to collect the comb jelly, but Moon jellyfish are available on the internet. Check out my blog,(Raising Pet Jellyfish) I have a link to my company there (we sell jellyfish and tanks).

DaveK

It's great to see someone keeping jellyfish. It's kind of rare even among SW people. It's something I've never tried. Maybe someday.

ThinkJellyfish

Yeah, Im really hoping the hobby will get a little larger. So much of what I've learned is from my actual experiences of trial and error. I've actually really enjoyed keeping jellyfish. Initially jellyfish keeping appears extremely difficult and scary. I've found that keeping jellyfish is a lot easier than it seems. Just like corals, some jellyfish are harder to keep than others, but there are several entry level jellyfish.

ThinkJellyfish

Heres some various pictures of my jellyfish tanks for anyone who's curious.

DSCN1154.jpg
This is my 200 gallon cannonball jellyfish tank. Cannonball jellyfish are excellent swimmers, so they dont need particular flow like other jellyfish. It was a multi purpose tank before, but I cut open a section and used it as a tank. I don't have any jellies in it right now, but I'm going to get some soon. I kept two cannonballs in it for about 2 months previously. I captured them in the winter at the end of their life cycle. Right now the tank has about an inch of sand at the bottom. I also built an internal refugium from a gallon plastic aquarium. I have that suspended from the center with some fishing line. There is no filtration currently. I plan to make this a 400 gallon system by attaching a second 200 gallon tank to it. The second tank will essentially be one giant refugium.

DSCN1867.jpg
This was my first jellyfish tank. Its a modified biorb tank that I bought from the company JellyfishArt. They no longer sell this tank though. Glass marbles were added to the tank to protect the jellies from the sharp live rock rubble and filtration at the bottom. The filter is an old school air powered gravel filter. A tube carries flow up the tank. It also protects the jellies, as air bubbles can get stuck in jellies and tear them. The flow mushrooms out of the tube and creates a sideways kind of laminar flow. I've found the tank works okay for moon jellies, but not much else. I may either modify it or use it to house some jellies I haven't tried in it before.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
welcomefish.gif

to ReefSanctuary, a real Sanctuary of reef forums, with lots of very nice members
745.gif