Anthony's RSM 250

Nowellsy SNR

Well woke up this morning for work checked my tank and my Clam was MIA i placed it upto my rock at the top of the tank its legs where still attached to the rock and i found its shell on the sandbed fully open looks like something had a good meal!

Im so annoyed i wanted to be succesful in keeping a clam im on a little downer today out of eveything it had to be my clam maybe because it was so small it didnt have much of a chance i dont know? Might keep my eye out for a bigger one only thing i can think of is one of the crabs got hold of it?

Arghhhhhhhhh!

lethal

Has been struck by the ban stick
Really sorry to hear about your clam Anthony, I know how much you wanted one. Do you have any fish that could be possible clam eaters?

Nowellsy SNR

The trigger never bothered with it and the trigger sleeps at night seen my Copperband have a nibble thats the main reason i moved it up top and then the Copperband never bothered with it my guess is the Emerald has got hold of it

Cheers Leigh i was looking forward to watching it grow

Max250

That's a bummer anthony, Sorry to hear that. Something must have eaten it for it to die so quickly if there were no signs of gasping/stress. I'm wary of all crabs and shrimps.

GregT

sorry about the clam Anthony. Do you think the trigger is suspect #1?
Think I need to add an elegance to my tank.
cheers
Greg

Dweezil

I'm sorry about the clam Anthony. I'm not saying it can't happen, but I have never seen my Emerald crab even go near my Clam. I feel really bad for you because I know how badly you wanted one. Don't give up though. ;)

Nowellsy SNR

Thanks guys

Cant really see it being my Trigger as he never even looked twice at it i'll never know im not going to give up i'll be on the look out for a much larger Clam

Nowellsy SNR

Im looking on Ebay at some large clams im tempted but dont want to loose another one of these!

Seen some at 2 inches which is much bigger than the one i had hmmmm

imaccat

Terry was really small about 3cm

Sorry to hear about your clam, I've just been in my LFS and seen a couple of beautiful ones, both about 3 inches. They are fantastic, but was wary about getting one having seen your thread and the emerald being the main suspect. Not that I know much about them, but triggers also seem to 'like' clams.

Max250

3cm, that would have been the smallest clam I've seen. I'd get something a bit bigger but I'd set a trap to catch any crabs in the meantime.

kyley

Hey Anthony, sorry to hear about the clam loss. Tough to know what it could have been. My emerald has left mine alone so far. It could be something you may not know about in the tank (a hitchhiker on your LR). Maybe another crab (I had one I didn't see for weeks and had *never* seen it out - always hiding in the same spot once I found it). Or maybe a predatory flatworm - that's what I'm really worried about as I found I have one of these in my tank:
Melevsreef.com - Flatworm

Anyway, good luck with your next clam. From what I understand, it's easier to keep a larger one to start (around 3"). Take care,
--Kyle

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
That 3 cm is barely over an inch. That really is small - I've never seen any sold that small! That would be a pretty quick meal for whatever got it. I agree - get something larger if you try it again. The ones I see at my LFS are about 3x that big.

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
Sorry to hear about the clam...

I have a friend in the local reef club that feeds his copperband oysters on the half shell, thought I would share... they do have a taste for them.