Another Newbie here

Bonefish

Hello I want to build a reek tank and I am looking for help. I am going to do a 300 gallon tank that will be 96x24x31. What do you recommend glass or Acrylic. Depending on what store I go to it changes. I was looking at a Tenecor acrylic? is this a good tank? Also where could I get some good plans to build a cabinet that could support a tank that big. I know I will be putting the sump below it. Of course I do not know exactly what I should put in that sump yet. I want to do it right the first time. What would be your list of equipment to buy if someone gave you a blank check. Anyone live in the Tampa Bay area that I could talk to. Thank you in advance for your time. Mike

nemoaquatics

HEY MIKE I LIVE IN THE BRANDON FL. THERE ARE SOME REAALY NOLIGABLE PEOPLE ON THIS SITE AS WELL IN THE BRANDON AREA. SEND ME AN EMAIL TO NEMOAQUATICS@MSN.COM AND I CAN GIVE YOU SOME NAMES LOCALLY THAT CAN HELP IF YOU WOULD LIKE.BOB

Eric

Google Warrior
PREMIUM
Welcome:turntable I'm eric new to you'll find there is plenty of help from all members .going all out on your first tank well here's a link it's a good place to start reading you got your work cut out for you http://www.reefsanctuary.com/knowledgebase
good luck see you around check out the knowledge base you'll find alot of what you wanna know about everthing pertaining to reef tanks

Bonefish

Thanks guys. So you live in Brandon, where do you to buy all your fish and supplies? I live in Apollo Beach.

Woodstock

The Wand Geek was here. ;)
RS STAFF
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary Bonefish!!

Wow!! 300 gallons :eek: Sounds like fun! I prefer glass tanks over acrylic :)

Witfull

definately glass,,,plastic scratches so easily,,,inside and out.

good luck with the beast! pictures of in progress set up~

Bonefish

So it seems like glass is the way to go? Whose glass tank do you recommend? I was looking at Glass Cages. What other options are our there in glass? Thanks Mike

mkpaulson

welcome aboard, you may want a check with Glass Cages and see if their tanks are reef ready. if you can get it that way, that the way to go.

Last edited:

Bonefish

Man I just read the thread on your 210. That is awesome. Whose lights do you recommend? Have you been happy with the lifereef stuff? If you were buying for a 300 gallon tank what would you order? Would you have done anything different for your tank now that you have had it set up for a while?

mkpaulson

thanks for the compliments on my tank, first off have you given any thought in where you're going to place the tank? a tank that size with all Live rock, water, the weight of the glass tank, and equipment you probably talking 5,000 lbs. make sure your floor will support that kind of weight.

on the lighting subject that kinda depends on what to plan on keeping in your tank as far as corals or clams or anemones. you probably want to go with it least 4x 250 W or maybe 400 W metal halide lighting for a tank that long.

are you planning on a sand bed or bare bottom?

I really like my reef life skimmer and sump I would highly recommend them but I probably would go with the vs3 72" skimmer instead.

I agree with every one of that glass tanks are probably better in the long run but when you get above 300 gal. I would probably really consider acrylic to save on the weight factor also drilling for a closed loop circulation system.

Bonefish

Did not think about the weight on the tile. Should have have the tile removed under the stand so that it sits on concrete or do you think the tile can handle that much weight? I was going to go with a sand bottom. Here in Florida do I need to get a chiller or heater for the tank ? We live on the water so the temperature is moderated with the sea breeze. Also do you think I can pull salt water out of the canal I live on or is not safe to do that? Thanks Mike

mkpaulson

You are definitely going to need a chiller, the lighting will add a lot of heat to the tank.

I would probably get one small heater is to be safe.

you will need to invest in a good ro/di water purification filter, all of your makeup water and top off water should be ro/di water. using water from the ocean or the canal would be a no-no.

as far as the floor goes you would probably be ok on the tile but not knowing the type of tile you have I would probably recommend having a professional look at for you.

Gina

RS STAFF
Welcome to Reef Sanctuary! Another monster tank to watch take shape!
What type of tile is on your floor?
That would be one concern when it comes to setting this bably up!
Can't wait to see some pics!
I would also try to get a reef ready one for sure!

Reef Geek

Reefus Geekus
Its not the tile that is the worry. Its the whats under the tile. If the tile is on a concrete slab (I dont think they do basements in FL) then you should be OK. But if its 2x10, or heck even 2x12, I-Beams then you will need some SERIOUS reinforcement and sistering.

As far as doing it right the first time, I think that is close to impossible. Mistakes are going to happen, even with all the reading you may do about other's mistakes you won't learn from them until you make those mistakes or have those problems.
Myself, I started with a 29 gallon and carried the knowledge (and inhabitants) over to a 60 gallon. Currently I am working on setting up a 230 gallon (72x24x30). I consider the knowledge I learned with the smaller tanks priceless. I know everyone says start with a big tank because it is more stable, but I wouldn't want to go through the inevitable beginner's mistake with the amount of money ($5,000+) that is involved in hardware and livestock in a tank that size.

As for lighting a 30+" deep tank, 250 MHs would be the minimum, you will probably have better luck with 400 MHs placed every 2 feet.

Acrylic is lighter and offers better thermal properties, but glass doesn't scratch and may be cheaper for a tank that size (I think the break even point is around 200 gallons).

I also second the RO/DI, chiller and heater comments. And also be prepared with a generator for when the hurricanes hit!! You dont want to lose thousands of dollars of fish and corals because of poor planning on your part.

One last thing, Good Luck and share pics!

Bonefish

Keep it coming guys. Justin yes the most important item I am doing before the live stuff goes into the tank is a generator for the entire house. We lost power for about 10 days this past hurricane season. I do not want to have to live thru that again. A neighbor of mine lost all his fish during this time. My tile sits on a solid concrete floor so I am hoping that I am fine. I would think with all that weight being distributed over the 96 inches that I would be okay.

Who makes the best aquariums for the money in glass? Any thoughts for a tank in that size?