Another heating problem

mbadcompany

Hey everyone, well like the forum would suggest I am new to the saltwater aquarium hobby and I seem to be having a problem with my heating components.

My tank is a Nanocube 24 and I have put my live sand, live rock, etc in all last night. The last thing I did before going to bed was put the heater in, set it to the right temp, and turned it on.

I woke up in the morning and the thermometer I put in said the water was 82(degrees) when I set the heater up to be 77. I went out and bought a couple more thermometers to see if maybe that was the problem but to my dismay they all say the same thing. I cant quite seem to figure out why my tank is doing this. I put the heater in the back corner of the tank where the water enters the filter if maybe that would be the problem or maybe it is just the heater itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you.

I would try simply turning down your heater, also whats your ambient air temp around your tank? Do you have AC? If your ambient air is very warm then this too may be your problem. The smaller the tank the more the temp can vary due to outside temps. Hope this helps ya. Oh and welcome to RS.

GrendelPrime

another thing i would look for is dampness inside the tube on the heater sometimes the seal can be defective and allow moisture in..just curious is the heater brand new or 1 u had hanging around from a fw tank..i know old heaters can get froggy and get stuck on

mbadcompany

Thanks for the welcome papa ( lol kinda weird to say)

I took the heater out of the tank over the night and when I woke up the tank was at around 76, which I can tolerate. So would I even need a heater in the first place? Because I dont know if I would feel comfortable with the idea of going without one. As far as the ambient air around, I do live in Southern California so the weather is always a bit warm.

And Grendel, the heater was new when I bought it, but when I thought I was going to be putting it in I couldnt so it was sitting on my desk for about a week. I dont know if maybe something had hit it or something possibly came loose or maybe its like you said about the seal.

Polymorphyc

Its is the lights on the nano cube causing the heat. Open the top at night when the lights are off and check the temp in the morning before they go back on. That will give you a good idea of the heat created by various pumps. The rest is lighting

fellers

if it is staying a constant 76 or varying a degree from night to afternoon you should be fine. The ambient air temp may be keeping your tank water there. Pretty much does on my 66 gallon tank. I keep my heater on 73 and my tank never gets below 75. IT is 75 mid night and 76 to 77 by late afternoon/evening.
I dont believe my heater is really doing anything as of now. Where my tank is in the house is always a constant 73 pretty much.
Just my experience over time.
I had a heater stick on very high and my tank once went to 87 88 degrees. Lost a couple fish etc. Make sure you have a decent heater