Another Algae Question

Well I do weekly water changes, but have been doing 5 gallons, I think 10 is more beneficial right now. I also have never thought to clean the back because...well...just never thought about it, maybe I will do 5 gallons from front of tank and 5 from back of tank from now on.

As far as the clumping and hard and such I can't really tell. It seems it has stuck to other algae as if to strengthen itself. I still need to get a CUC, and heater, but as mentioned before nobody around here has any heaters, so waiting on one now...Got a little ceramic heater in front of tank to at least get it near where it's needs to be until heater arrives. Will test tank here in a few min and post results.

Here are the results.

SG: 1.024-1.025 (C Scope Refractometer)
Temp: 72F (Low I know...see heater)
Rest of these are done by Red Sea Liquid Reagent Test Kit...I have a hard time differentiating between the colors...
Nitrate: 2.5 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Ammonia: tested .25 ppm which converts to toxic level of 0.01175 ppm according to formula they have in kit
pH: 8.0 (low as well but could be because lights were off...not sure how to raise it up. I was dosing a Oceans Blend 2 part, but discontinued when problems starting arising)
Alk: No specific number, just in the Normal range, although on the lower end of normal
Phosphate: Same as before can't differentiate the colors...

Last edited:
Ok now really considering this substrate exchange idea since I don't really like those pellets anyway...never have. If I do this my plan is to take all rock out, put egg crate down since I never did before, scrub rocks, and replace with sand. I have a few questions though. Can I remove all the pellets at once? Also can I replace with sand right away? What if I use the "live sand" that comes wet in bag? How deep to go with sand bed as well?

Just think sand will be better for my corals on the bottom, and allow me to get all the junk that is inevitably down there.