Another Algae Question

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
lol, I hate buying new bulbs, used to run my vho's for 2 yrs but they cost a TON to run so the t5's work out cheaper, anyway its also possible that the new bulbs have fried some of the old algae and supplied fuel for this batch

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
How many snails in your cuc?

In pics, I don't see any or (many)

Here a Reef Cleaner suggestion

Quick Crew (65 Gallon)
Price: $47.13

Ask a question about this product

Shipped for free via Priority Mail you will get:

64 Dwarf Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

23 Nassarius - scavengers that will eat leftover food and some fish waste. They will stir sand, but can also be kept in bare bottom tanks.

20 Florida Ceriths - small cleaners that get to the nooks and crannies. Feed on fine hair algae, diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. Nocturnal cleaners that leave the sandbed at night to search for food.

14 Large and 15 Small to Medium Nerites - We are currently offering the longer lived and quite hardy Antillean Nerite. (Nerita fulgurans). It grows to a nice size,and consumes a good deal of diatoms, cyano, algal detritus, and film algae. It will also consume some fine hair algae. A nocturnal herbivore that will feed more often at night, they tend to need some time to adjust to the limitations of the aquarium during their first week.

I purchased that exact CUC probably in August and none of it is left. Not sure if I have a predator or some other water issue (other than the phosphate). The ceriths didn't make shipping, which I was reimbursed for, and the others lasted only a little while. I also purchased some mexican turbos about 2 months ago and about 3 weeks ago I woke up and they were all dead...appeared to be alive and when I picked them up to target high algae spot, they just slid out of the shell, and stunk like...well you get the picture. I just realized last night how cold my tank was getting at night 69F because my wife believes we should sleep in the artic pHucking circle. I turned up the heater in my RSM but it doesn't seem like it's doing anything. During the day my tank is about 75-76 (which LFS said was okay as long as consistent, although not sure I believe those guys anymore) and my house is about 71-73, so the lights and heater aren't really doing much it seems for the temperature. Any ideas on how to regulate it a little better, besides doing away with the wife....permanently?!

nanoreefing4fun

RS STAFF
tank was getting at night 69

Get a new heater for sure ! Your temp swings should be only a couple of degrees...

Maybe that is why all your cuc is dead ??? If not, figuring out why all the snails are dieing could be a huge key to what's going on... and then replacing them.

See what others think, with this new information.

I think my heater is in working order but just the design of the rsm 250 keeps it from being as efficient as I need it to be, my house this morning was 59F.

Also just read about my snails, think I may have an Oenone fulgida worm??? All my snails were food an I also had a clam (few months ago) that was doing great and then one morning I wake up to just shell...fits the description of what I have been researching. Sound plausible?

**edit to add** I just realized I used the salt water card for my po4 test...with my fresh RO water...ugh... Going to retest everything again tonight when I leave this hellhole...aka work.

Ok so re-did my PO4..here are the results:

From the RO
IMG_0228.jpg

In the bucket I use to transport
IMG_0229.jpg

And presently in my aquarium
IMG_0231.jpg

Also, I pulled my heater out to look at it...light is on as if it it running but when I felt it, it was not hot, or even warm. There is also a spot on it that looks "not right". Think I am going to change it out. Also while looking at that I looked in the back and this is the result...
IMG_0227.jpg

Should is be that dirty down in there?

*edit* just noticed that you can't really tell anything from the pH pics...I can't really tell the colors apart, but my wife says it looks like 0 on all to her...

Last edited:

Brandon78

I know a lot of ppl here dont like chemicals, and I do not use them except for cyano, and if it that's what it is, I recommend chemiclean to kick it. I had a bad outbreak a few weeks after I set up my tank. Got this stuff from Petco and it worked miracles on my tank super fast, less then 48 hours I believe. Just my opinion.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Ok so re-did my pH..here are the results:

Also, I pulled my heater out to look at it...light is on as if it it running but when I felt it, it was not hot, or even warm. There is also a spot on it that looks "not right". Think I am going to change it out. Also while looking at that I looked in the back and this is the result...
IMG_0227.jpg

Should is be that dirty down in there?

*edit* just noticed that you can't really tell anything from the pH pics...I can't really tell the colors apart, but my wife says it looks like 0 on all to her...

No it shouldn't be dirty, and your going to go nowhere testing ph with a P04 kit

yankieman

Looks like cyno to me and since your clean up crew died that could be some of the cause or the spike that caused it ,, and the temp has to be stabilized,, chemiclean works good but still dosnt fix the cause ,, some major water changes, and get the temp problem fixed then see how things are going from there ,,

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
just look at the scale on the P04 kit 0.0 0.25 ? by the time you get a readable reading (unlikely) you will already be at 0.25 and so deep into trouble its too late, these kits cannot read low numbers with any degree of accuracy, save your money and run gfo

Brandon78

Yea sorry I should specify chemiclean knocked it out, then I did water changes and got my levels down, thats what worked for me.

Yes I agree on the temp, going tomorrow to get a new heater since it looks like I am another victim of the stock RSM 250 heater.

I usually do a water change weekly but last week I did one every other day of 5 gallons.

Brandon78

I do mine every Saturday or Sunday and usually do about 10 gallons. (55 gallon tank) That what works best for me and I havent had another outbreak since then.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
Yes I agree on the temp, going tomorrow to get a new heater since it looks like I am another victim of the stock RSM 250 heater.

I usually do a water change weekly but last week I did one every other day of 5 gallons.
heaters are funny things, with the temp fluctuation's you have I would get 2 heaters, one won't be enough to keep it stable when Frosty cracks the windows, Im like that too anything over 64 degrees in the house is a sweat shop

I'm thinking that the heater I have is not working, when I feel it it's not warm, and it's turned all the way up. I have a heater in my frag tank that when I feel it, I feel the heat coming off of it.

I am trying to get a rena smartheater but petco nor petsmart have them and my LFS is closed today, not that I think they will have it either...they get more useless to me every week.

Did a 10 gallon water change today, I got all that gunk out from the back of the tank. I had 10 gallons of essentially brown/green water from behind there. It's now clean again behind there.

Blew off the rocks afterwards and now the rocks are a bright white, and the algae is gray/white now, almost like it's dusty.

sasquatch

Brunt of all Jokes~
PREMIUM
good, now go and test everything and post it here and next week we can nag you into doing it again lol