Another Adventure

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Wow - that is heavy duty glass. The difference in clarity between the 2 types was amazing! You may need a crew to carry that tank in. Lookin good!

alphasierra

Yeah very true Terry. The tank itself will weigh plenty. Let alone filled with salt water, rocks. The price you pay for have a large rimless tank I guess. (no pun intended)

Finalizing the plumbing dimensions these next few days. This whole exercise is definitely a learning experience.

Skimmer is a difficult decision. Created a comparison table to help me decide

SkimmerComparison.png

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
I seem to like the ones behind doors number 2 and 4, based on l/hr air & your Other Info comments.

alphasierra

ha... me too Terry. We'll just wait and see.

Here are some pictures of the new ATI Powermodule Dimmbar 8x80W I picked up the other day. It's amazing. Now I'll have to hurry the build up so I can put it to good use.

General comparison to my current tank
ATIRSMcomparison-1.jpg

I made a tank layout to help with my planning. You can see the difference in floor area.
ActualSizes.jpg

SignageonPM.jpg

BulbOverview.jpg

All lights operating nicely. Very bright!! :cool:
Bulbson.jpg

I practiced changing the bulbs (since the store owner installed the bulbs before I picked it up). Operation with a KZ bulb.
BulbsonKZinstalled.jpg

2bulbson.jpg

These cooling fans look so awesome and are very quiet too!!. I had read that sometimes they don't work and this was the case with me. The problem is that the ATI logo is pushed against the black middle section of the fan (maybe from transport/packaging) therefore preventing them from spinning easily. I just simply raised them up a little with my finger and they worked like a treat.
CoolingFans2.jpg

CoolingFans.jpg

Now another reason I love the appearance of the fans is because they remind me of this. The engine of the aircraft I fly :D
ATIGE90Comparison.jpg

Other components, universal adapter and hanging kit
HangingKitUniversalAdapter.jpg

A close up of the universal adapter. This controls the active cooling fans. Notice that it has a selection of voltages to control the speed of the cooling fans. I have read that 4.5V is recommended for normal surrounding temperature, 19c to 22c. I think I'll need to increase it as the room will average much higher. I'd like to link the fans in with operation of the lights too.
UniversalAdapterSettings.jpg

I've included a number of pictures of the Dimmbar box as I was unable to find any on any English forums during my research. It's always been a mystery
PowermoduleDimmbar2.jpg

PowermoduleDimmbar.jpg

Inside the box... ahhh, it finally makes sense :)
InsidePowermoduleDimmbar.jpg

DimmbarInstructions.jpg

Possible layout of wires with a profilux controller
WiringSetupforPM.jpg

An example someone sent me
WiringSetupforPM2.jpg

That's it. Very happy so far! :)

Reefmack

NaClH2O Addicted
PREMIUM
Really nice. I liked the comparison of the ATI fans to the engine of the aircraft you fly!

mbdave

Alphasieraa ever thought about a "Calvo" type overflow? If not do a little investigating you might like it.
Dave

ReefLady

Staff member
This looks really awesome. And the pics are great. Oh, and I think Dave is referring to a "Calfo" overflow. Try searching that.

Beautiful build!

alphasierra

Thanks ReefLady for the input... I thought that was what Dave was referring to but wasn't sure.

Dave - As for the 'Calfo' overflow, I had looked into it some months ago but I just simply will not have enough room. I'm limited for space already and I wanted to have the maximum width as possible (up to 26", 66cm). This can be achieved but with no plumbing behind the tank/stand. Hence I 'bit the bullet' and when with an internal overflow. I realize that I'll be encroaching on possible display/swim area but it should not be too much. According to the life size sketches I looks ok. Also, the plumbing should be more straight forward with the drain pipes going straight down.

These are two sketch-up drawings that I created a while back show just how much room I have to work with. The tank pictured doesn't have the lights above it but hopefully you will get the idea.
*PS... The dining table does have chairs but they are a little tricky to draw :eek:
untitled78.jpg

Approximate view from the lounge (eye-level)
untitled79.jpg

alphasierra

I managed to pick up the caster wheels for the sump. I ended up getting 8 instead as they will be able to hold more weight.

Was hoping to get this type to match the skimmer but they informed me that they only distribute (from China) per 25000 pieces and I was only after 6.
en_1-115254186820060710093108.jpg

Ended up going with these which are a German brand. Rated at 50kg Static and 25kg Dynamic
OverViewofCasters.jpg

Ball Bearings all greased up and ready to go
CasterWheel.jpg

TENTE brand. I've read really good reports about their casters!
CasterWheelFrame.jpg

josips

Hi,

How's the progress with your new system? I'm sure many of us are looking forward to seeing the fruits of your labor!

alphasierra

Wow... it's been a while since I updated. Sorry! Lots has happened so let me start with,

Water Circulation

Trying to come up with a plan/layout to create good flow for the corals, fish and to carry away waste has been a lot harder than I thought. Plus, I'm trying not to have pumps and cords going everywhere.

In the display tank itself, I was looking initially at using Vortechs for flow (since I have one already) but I decided on Tunze pumps instead. Plus they will be compatible with the controller I will use.

So I picked myself up these beauties which will be the main flow in the tank.

Tunze6105.jpg

After much consideration I have decided on using one return pump instead of two. The main reasons are less noise, wattage and therefore less heat being produced. However to ensure this is the case I have gone with a RD 6.5m3. Which shall be more than adequate.

The final part of the water movement involves having a mini closed loop system within the tank itself. I want to minimize potential dead spots and this concept should help. I will use a Eheim 1001 pump rated at 600l/h.
***Remember the internal overflow has been moved inwards and is no longer at the edge. These are old pics but you should get the idea though.

HyperShot94.jpg

I created some sand to give myself a better idea of what it might look like.

HyperShot95.jpg

An idea of where the piping will go. I'm tempted the even drill some holes in the pipe at certain places to create more/random water movement. (IE: bounce off rock work and the outside of the overflow)

HyperShot96.jpg