Anenomes? Boy have I got Anenomes!! :D

jbshaffer

Started with one...no action for a long time. I now have over a dozen. I hand feed them, cut up shrimp, once a week. They move around slowly. They actually have different preferences for location. I have anemones in my sump. The corals seem to tolerate their movement.

DSC03056.jpg

DSC03058.jpg

DSC03061.jpg

DSC03062.jpg

DSC03063.jpg

jbshaffer

You have a beautiful tank, and a lot of healthy anemones, tell us you secret :thumbup:

Thanx! I started this tank about five years ago. I transferred from a five year old tank. So total age of most of the corals is ten years or better. My tank is completely stock. The bioballs are the originals. I conduct irregular water changes. I do RO my water. I do not add any chemicals. My philosophy is: If it lives..it lives. If it dies..it dies. Bristle worms inhabit my sump. There are anemones and I think coral is growing in the sumps as well. I have an abundance of anemones as you can see. Water temp ranges from 78-82f. I don't have a chiller.

reefer gladness

Looks nice! You can get away with feeding the nems a lot less if you ever get tired of the mass reproduction. I feed maybe 1/2 a silverside each month, at this point I can kinda tell when the nem is really hungry when the tentacles start looking a little thinner than normal.

Do your clowns move around? For fish that don't venture more than a couple inches from their hosting nem I thought it was pretty cool in my tank watching my percs go back and forth between the nems several times an hour.

jbshaffer

Looks nice! You can get away with feeding the nems a lot less if you ever get tired of the mass reproduction. I feed maybe 1/2 a silverside each month, at this point I can kinda tell when the nem is really hungry when the tentacles start looking a little thinner than normal.

Do your clowns move around? For fish that don't venture more than a couple inches from their hosting nem I thought it was pretty cool in my tank watching my percs go back and forth between the nems several times an hour.

Thanx! That's kinda what I thought. I've actually reduced what I feed them to about a dime sized piece of sliced shrimp. I only have one clown and he tends to travel quite a bit :D

rufus2008

You can also sell them back to your local lfs, at least you can here, and get another amazing coral (i love your toadstoole).

jbshaffer

You can also sell them back to your local lfs, at least you can here, and get another amazing coral (i love your toadstoole).

My LFS is 200 miles away. I get most of my stock shipped to me. The toadstool is over 16 inches at its widest point. It started out as a two inch specimen from Live Aquaria :D