Anemones killing coral?

mcfly

i know anemones can sting and kill your corals and such and some people say go for it and some people say no way. i love the way they look and down the road want to get one in my 40 gallon tank. So i was wondering how many corals if any, have you all lost due to housing an anemone, and did your experience with them in your reef tank make you realized it is not worth it?

BarbMazz

i know anemones can sting and kill your corals and such and some people say go for it and some people say no way. i love the way they look and down the road want to get one in my 40 gallon tank. So i was wondering how many corals if any, have you all lost due to housing an anemone, and did your experience with them in your reef tank make you realized it is not worth it?

It can go both ways; corals can kill anemone through allelopathy. I'd suggest you get some reading material about allelopathy, then you will get an idea about compatibility. I think if you do research and learn how to counter allelopathy with species choice, careful placement, and chemical filtering you can be successful.

I'm hoping for an anemone in the future, so I'll be stocking some SPS and staying away from most LPS and softies, which can be pretty chemically aggressive from what I understand. I'm still learning, though, so certainly don't take my word for it! :) :doh:

burning2nd

My GTA ate a passing kanya tree frag the other day... i saw the hole thing it answered my question i had about that

i have had several diffrent kinds of anenomes. I have had anenomes eat fish that where not supposed to be fish eaters and i have had themalso sting corals and kill them. I agree they look great and i liked having them but to lose fish to them and have to deal with the constant moving of corals to keep them from getting stung was just to much work in my opinion. I have had several diffrent kinds and every time i get rid of them because they are a headache. I had one eat a lion fish which wasnt even supposed to be a fish eater. Good luck but in my opinion to much trouble.

amc78cj7

A piece of Pukani live rock I just picked up has a small anemone on it. I was told by the store to kill it. I did not know they have a "foot" that can detach from rock faces and reattach to your corals and kill them. I'll see if I can take a picture tonight and post it. Maybe someone can help me identify it then. It is very small (about 1cm in diameter).

My purple-tip Codilactus went to war with my frogspawn coral. I thought that my frogspawn was a gonner... But, he prevailed! The condilactus shrivled up a bit then moved down the road. I would say that having an anemone is worth it. There are quite a few out there. Research whcih one you want and then find out if it is compatible with the other organisms in your tank.

lcstorc

I keep very little coral in with my RBTA but it never seems to move. It found a happy place soon after introduction and hasn't moved since.

About the little anemone, it is probably aiptasia which is definitely a pest. Ways to remove it include getting peppermint shrimp, and Joe's Juice.

amc78cj7

About the little anemone, it is probably aiptasia which is definitely a pest. Ways to remove it include getting peppermint shrimp, and Joe's Juice.

That's it. Thanks for the tip. Looks like this. Every time I turn on the flashlight at night I find more critters in my reef. Just saw several transparent mini bugs with several legs and long antenna. I assume they are the "pods" folks say are good players? Then there's this jelly looking polyp on a piece of fuji rock. Green/gray in color. I'll get a pic of that later.

Here's the aiptasia anemone

aiptasia-large.jpg

The most "immobile" of my anemones are rock/flower anemones. You give them a good sunny spot and they will stay in the same place for years, literally.
Roses are nice but have always moved around a lot on me and can damage sps, etc after prolonged contact.

Most other types have an even stronger sting and there's no guarantee that they won't move around/sting stuff. As long as you're willing to live with that or give them space to move then it might be worth it.

The yellow polyps stung the condy anemone and left marks, had to remove polyps. No problem from anemone to corals or fish - just keep them away from direct contact.

Also have the tube anemone (not anemone at all, technically) - the fish recovered from the sting in two days, one fish only - other didn't come closer. Hammer coral recovered within days, sun coral babies - in may be a week.

It was my fault - placed the too close in the first night. In store the anemone looked 3x smaller, and in tank it expanded to 11" in diameter, it took time to redo the aquascaping to accommodate this creature. The plus is, that they do not require the light.

Gorgeous creature! I only wish, that they were smaller (but the condy grows big enough too), or that I started with them, and not with fish and corals.