Anemone trouble

ambowlin

I have had and kept condys before... but we finally decided we wanted to get an anemone for our clown fish to house (we no longer have the condys)

I really wanted a GBTA so I got one for my birthday from the LFS.
We were told it was an ultra grade green bubble tip anemone with purple base even though it wasn't exactly what we wanted we bought it anyway.

They told us the bubble tips would appear later upon acclimation.
Well, we believed them because we have had a decent track record with them.

anemone.jpg

Since then (this was 3 weeks ago) bubble tips never came and another website identified it as a magnificent anemone rather than BT.

anemone2.jpg

Now it has moved, and my clownfish didn't want anything to do with it.
I really wanted a bubble tip... any thoughts on id, if it would survive removal, or anything else.
LFS said too bad!

I have 2 large nems in my tank (one that split). I have been told they are bta's, however they rarely have bubbly tips either. I've had mine for over 6 months now.... My clowns love them though.

maps

here is a photo of him splitting

ambowlin

hmmm... well that sounds interested. This one has never had a single bubble tip!
But... your picture didn't show up.
Is yours also a purple base with green tips?

seafansar

Yeah, that doesn't quite look like a BTA to me. I don't think BTA's have that purple foot. I have also had a BTA that never formed any bubbles with it's tentacles. I guess some do and some don't. Yours, however, doesn't look like a BTA to me.

It looks to be doing pretty good to me. As long as it has sufficient lighting, flow, and water quality, it should do fine. Give your clowns more time to find it. It takes some clowns a while to figure out what an anemone is. You could try feeding your clowns over the anemone to get them to notice it.

ambowlin

That's a good idea. We will try that. They looked at it for a while when we first got it and the male clown seemed like he wanted in, but the female started rubbing on my wellsophyllia.
But, I'll try feeding over it--thanks!

robwerden

I have the exact anenome and he is constantly deflating and looking sad. I put a pair of mated clowns and 3 other anenomes from someone elses tank in mine and the clown started cuddling with my purple foot. He suddenly started to perc up and even started actively taking food which I feed frozen silversides. He deflates for an hour each day after MH lights out then puffs up all night long where the 3 clowns take turns giving him attention.

So I suggest getting a situation like I have where there are already clowns who are used to anenomes and put them in with him.

robwerden

Oh on BTA, the BT comes from a happy anenome. Finding their favorite food usually does the trick. Silversides are all my anenomes favorites and after feeding they are very BT. When they are hungry they are not so BT.

All BTA like to find a good footing and there is nothing you can do but let them find a spot. You can trick them by moving the spot after lights out by turning the rock. The purple foot I have wants to have its foot in the dark but its body under the MH. So the foot may be more photo sensitive.

ambowlin

Foot in the dark is EXACTLY what mine is doing!

Thanks for the help.
I wish I could get clowns in it, but I already have a pair and the day I put the anemone in, they started housing the brain...

I will try and get some different food for it and maybe that will help.
Do you think it will ever get bubble tips without clowns living in it?

Clownfish518

Razorback
PREMIUM
Nobody knows exactly what makes a BTA bubble.

Oddly, one things that works on occasion is to tape a picture of clowns hosting in an anemone on the glass in front of the anemone. People are very sight oriented, its our major sense and how we think. Clowns find their preferred anemone through smell. They may not recognize the BTA by sight alone - you may need to nudge them in that direction.

This really has a decent track record, odd as it sounds

ambowlin

Oddly enough, I had heard that and I actually already tried that..... =( they were curious for a while but it didn't entertain them enough to hop in.

proenca

I concour with what everyone said basically : I had a BTA as well and when she was fed, she had BT... or late at night, after lights out.

I wont make the assumption that a non-BT is an unhappy anemone per se, but I've seen BTA's inflated all along in well established systems.