Anarchy's reef chronicle

Biggles

It's very late here but i think it's more to do with your lighting than water mate. Are you using GFO and or carbon, how quickly do you get a green sheen on the glass, enough to take the shine off viewing.
What is the halide bulb you're running and the T5's if any mate. I looked back a lot further, i saw colorful frags but was that soon after you bought them or were you holding good colors for months and then things changed.
I'd drop the alk and calcium down to 8/420 ish as high light and high alk are not good for stressed acros and you won't see any difference running levels that your acros actually evolved to thrive in...................... :) I run 7.5/410 btw and have tried everything from 6.5 - 9 with zero change in growth or colors.
I'd urge you to stop using anything like aminos or coral food products as the algae is a nutrient issue indicator, from my experience the brown algae on the pumps is a good nitrate excess sign whereas more than daily glass cleaning is a good heads up for high phos. Your rocks are way to clean for the issue to be anything major so you probably just need to tweak a few things in your food in and food out management to sort the imbalance out.
The readings mean nothing once there's enough algae growing to absorb phos and nitrates quicker than the acros can get it. Trust your eyes not the kits because that algae isn't living on salt water alone.

Sorry if i sound abrupt or knowitally but i'm pooped and trying to get a lot out fast lol. I'll check back tomorrow but i'm sure we can sort everything out so your acros are smiling again. :)

Edit: I meant to say that you MUST get a Mg test kit, Salifert is a good brand. If you're doing weekly water changes it's probably fine but low Mg will have consequences once it drops down into the 1100's or worse. You can dose it once a week so it's easy to manage and doesn't require daily additions to manage like alk and calcium do.

Last edited:

anarchy

It's very late here but i think it's more to do with your lighting than water mate. Are you using GFO and or carbon, how quickly do you get a green sheen on the glass, enough to take the shine off viewing.
What is the halide bulb you're running and the T5's if any mate. I looked back a lot further, i saw colorful frags but was that soon after you bought them or were you holding good colors for months and then things changed.
I'd drop the alk and calcium down to 8/420 ish as high light and high alk are not good for stressed acros and you won't see any difference running levels that your acros actually evolved to thrive in...................... :) I run 7.5/410 btw and have tried everything from 6.5 - 9 with zero change in growth or colors.
I'd urge you to stop using anything like aminos or coral food products as the algae is a nutrient issue indicator, from my experience the brown algae on the pumps is a good nitrate excess sign whereas more than daily glass cleaning is a good heads up for high phos. Your rocks are way to clean for the issue to be anything major so you probably just need to tweak a few things in your food in and food out management to sort the imbalance out.
The readings mean nothing once there's enough algae growing to absorb phos and nitrates quicker than the acros can get it. Trust your eyes not the kits because that algae isn't living on salt water alone.

Sorry if i sound abrupt or knowitally but i'm pooped and trying to get a lot out fast lol. I'll check back tomorrow but i'm sure we can sort everything out so your acros are smiling again. :)

Edit: I meant to say that you MUST get a Mg test kit, Salifert is a good brand. If you're doing weekly water changes it's probably fine but low Mg will have consequences once it drops down into the 1100's or worse. You can dose it once a week so it's easy to manage and doesn't require daily additions to manage like alk and calcium do.

No gfo or carbon. I've start=d skimming wetter to try exporting more.

All my frags had great color even the brown ones I bought colored up and we're doing good until I upgraded my 27 softie to the 93 that's running today. And all that really changed was the corals that were in the 30... connected to the same sump as 93.. got moved into the 93 then things got stressed and some browned. Some still look great and are coloring up nicely. Talked to a guy locally and he said everything seems fine just get the algae to go away and nitrates and phosphates in check and things should return to how they were

ANARCHY

Biggles

I think your friend is right considering the recent move, many of my acros are colorful but still sulking with no growth at all since i upgraded the display. If some of your acros are coloring up and doing well then you should trust that your conditions are good and it's just a case of the recent upgrade and nutrient spike affecting some more than others. All your acros being crappy would be what my first sleepy post was aimed at so excuse that post lol.
As long as you see some degree of PE at night on everything you can generally trust your water is not way off i find.
Down the track when all those frags are growing and colorful the Mg draw will become an issue so the kit is still a good idea at some point :)

anarchy

I think your friend is right considering the recent move, many of my acros are colorful but still sulking with no growth at all since i upgraded the display. If some of your acros are coloring up and doing well then you should trust that your conditions are good and it's just a case of the recent upgrade and nutrient spike affecting some more than others. All your acros being crappy would be what my first sleepy post was aimed at so excuse that post lol.
As long as you see some degree of PE at night on everything you can generally trust your water is not way off i find.
Down the track when all those frags are growing and colorful the Mg draw will become an issue so the kit is still a good idea at some point :)
Thanks biggles. Yeah I still have PE on everything and everything is still growing so I guess everything is all good

ANARCHY

anarchy

I believe what has caused the issue is my lighting. Since my 30 and 93 share the same sump and water parameters and the red milli I snapped off in my 93 was really dark with very little variation in color. It now sits in my 30 and the pink corallites are back and blue tips popping in. Here's a pic it in the 93
47c9a29138eeed03ebaaead418c39deb.jpg

And this one taken just now
3398040571c6a4326c125c410f1db64a.jpg
b166ff0d6f7c1caa11d97cb387e0761f.jpg

ANARCHY

anarchy

So its been 2 1/2 weeks since I got my copperband. I've seen him pick at rocks but never seen it full on eat mysis since it hides in its home when I feed. This guy has to be eating right? Wouldn't it have died by now if not?

ANARCHY

anarchy

Here's the exact frags I'll be receiving on the 22nd
1) indigo tip
2)Pearly cadaver
3) Spainbow
4) Crazy bananas milli
5) smittys guilded stag
6) Trash compactor 2.0
7) Medusa bane
8) Frost pop
77443e52eed0b63cd5c246afd7da72c8.jpg

ANARCHY

anarchy

Oh wow :O they're really nice pieces!! :D

Who from?? Battle corals?
Yeah battlecorals. He lives like and hour and a half away and I knew we were going there for our anniversary so I convince the wife to let me buy some. 6 pieces for $205 and 1 and 5 are freebies :)
He told me #5 smittys guilded stag was a neglected piece that was off in the corner of his tank so it wasn't colored up like it should be. Also said #8 was being aclimated to led so color was bleached so i got the choice between a big frag or a colorful slightly smaller one. Very nice guy and very honest about everything

ANARCHY

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Yeah battlecorals. He lives like and hour and a half away and I knew we were going there for our anniversary so I convince the wife to let me buy some. 6 pieces for $205 and 1 and 5 are freebies :)
He told me #5 smittys guilded stag was a neglected piece that was off in the corner of his tank so it wasn't colored up like it should be. Also said #8 was being aclimated to led so color was bleached so i got the choice between a big frag or a colorful slightly smaller one. Very nice guy and very honest about everything

ANARCHY
I'm so jealous! I love BC's sps packs!! I always follow along to what he does, along with Unique Corals lol
You got a killer pack there though! It's always an excellent feeling getting new corals, I recently bought some Rasta zoa's :)

anarchy

I'm so jealous! I love BC's sps packs!! I always follow along to what he does, along with Unique Corals lol
You got a killer pack there though! It's always an excellent feeling getting new corals, I recently bought some Rasta zoa's :)
I have a $2000 list for BC pending wife approval. She says I'm aloud to buy 1 pack a year of the amount $$ she decides lol

ANARCHY

Biggles

What are you doing about the lighting mate if you think it might be giving you dramas.
The frag pack pickup will be like driving to Santa's workshop lol.
It goes without saying that you triple whatever amount your partner allows you to spend and pay for everything in cash.......

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
I have a $2000 list for BC pending wife approval. She says I'm aloud to buy 1 pack a year of the amount $$ she decides lol

ANARCHY
Fantastic!!! :D

What are you doing about the lighting mate if you think it might be giving you dramas.
It goes without saying that you triple whatever amount your partner allows you to spend and pay for everything in cash.......
hahahaha cash conceals all :p

anarchy

Normally I'd agree with you but he likes to be paid before you come. Looks like I need another bank account where I can stash money
Fantastic!!! :D

hahahaha cash conceals all [emoji14]

ANARCHY

Biggles

Normally I'd agree with you but he likes to be paid before you come. Looks like I need another bank account where I can stash money

ANARCHY

And make sure you use a throw away mobile if you ring them....... like the spies do in the movies...... and empty the email trash........... if you get caught, Dom and i will deny any part in the conspiracy so be aware that you're on your own if you get busted.........

Wrangy

Acropora Nut
RS STAFF
PREMIUM
And make sure you use a throw away mobile if you ring them....... like the spies do in the movies...... and empty the email trash........... if you get caught, Dom and i will deny any part in the conspiracy so be aware that you're on your own if you get busted.........
So secretive I don't even know what you're talking about :p

anarchy

I'd never get caught the way we are going all secret spy type of stuff
So secretive I don't even know what you're talking about [emoji14]

ANARCHY