An Unexpected Journey

Tokalosh

Thats good to know bud, cheers. I'll pick one up though, Its better to have and not need than need and not have!

I've noticed you have the Intank media rack. What floss are you using and where do you get it from? I ordered some of the blue and white floss from mediabaskets when I purchased my rack but would prefer to buy from the uk really but cant find it over here?

Vandit, I use the following foam sponge from Fluval, they fit and work like a charm....

Once it become full of debris you can just rinse it out and put it back in place.

Hope this helps

Tok

tangers

Thats good to know bud, cheers. I'll pick one up though, Its better to have and not need than need and not have!

I've noticed you have the Intank media rack. What floss are you using and where do you get it from? I ordered some of the blue and white floss from mediabaskets when I purchased my rack but would prefer to buy from the uk really but cant find it over here?

I get from FinestFilters in a massive roll but now i only run it occasionally. I run one of these cut down slightly in the top of the basket 24/7:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005AK9WXQ/

just make sure you rinse/squeeze it out at every water change it catches lots of detritus.

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Any of the "cut to fit" filters will work & it's best to change them out frequently.
Here's where I put mine:
null_zps86b95b4f.jpg
[/IMG]

Vandit

Yesterday I managed to get the tank in place and filled with water. I turned on both pumps, the mp10 and the heater and mixed in the salt with no problems and left it running all night.

This morning I opened the hood to find condensation? It was mainly in the front flap but is was also on the roof of the metal middle section and visible inside the hood. The previous owner had removed all the fans from the hood when he originally modded the lights. It's no problem giving them a wipe everyday but the last thing I want is for the lights to end up looking like the ones on the first page of this thread!

I'm considering buying the water cooling fan that goes in the left side but I'm unsure on whether or not this will help? Does anyone have any suggestions?

Vandit

tangers

It's just under the holders for the hood supports.

Make sure the return nozzles aren't flicking water into the hood. You could try the fan not sure if it would help, the aqua rays are supposed to be water resistant aren't they?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk 2

Vandit

Thanks for the replies.

Both nozzles were pointing towards the middle of the tank and I saw no flicking? I'm not 100% sure on the Aquarays? but there is proof that if left unattended they will deteriorate.

The condensation was mainly accumulated in the front flap but there was quite a lot? The middle section was not as much and visable on both ends of the metal surround and the plastic inside the hood. As my hood has no fans, I'm hoping that some air flow inside the hood will help? so I've just ordered the water cooling fan. I'm also considering getting the lens cover to seal the middle section.

If I get no joy from these? the only other thing I can think of doing is to install PC fans back into the hood and power them externally.

Vandit :drool:

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Glenn has a lot of 130 experience, he might have some insight into this.

Vandit

New water cooling fan should arrive tomorrow so hopefully that will do something? If it can half the amount? I will be happy. Any insight would also be great!

On another note I think I've decided on how the rocks are going in so if all goes well? I'll be chucking a shrimp in at the weekend :)

Vandit

Cheers guys. It's arrived today so I'll throw it in later and start the tank up again :)

This is where I'm currently at with my rocks, What do you think?

goma

RS STAFF
PREMIUM
Love that rock work! Nice swim throughs and plenty of space for corals!!

Tokalosh

Looking good, I like what you have done, just keep in mind that corals like to grow and require space to do this.

Tok

DianaKay

Princess Diana
RS STAFF
Looks good! Make sure you have enough SPACE between the rock and the side glass to get a mag-float or something to clean the film algae off the glass...can't see all the amazing life & take cool pictures through algae on the glass :D

ElTurco

Hi V;

Aquascaping for reef aquariums is almost important as having a good protein skimmer. Many of the hobbiest while concentrating on equipment do not think in detail the aquascaping. While aquascaping is fully dependent on available space one major point is to have a minimum footprint of rocks on the base this will increase the circulation of debris and enable debris to go sump or PS before settling on the aquarium base. Your aquascaping is very nice but considering the size of rsm130 and if you want a long term running eco system I would reconsider the footprint of the rocks.

brgds

Vandit

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'll have another go and see if I can reduce the footprint.

Good news on the cooling fan. I checked the hood this morning and there was hardly any condensation :) but there was a slight difference in temperature, It was at 24.5. I know the cooling fan will be having an effect but it could also be the Elitech ATC-800? The temperaure was set at 26 with a temp difference of two degrees. I know it will shut the heater off if it goes over 28 but I dont know whether it will do the same once over 24? Anyway I reset it this moring to 27 with a one degree allowance so hopefully it will compensate?

Also took the oppurtunity to sort out the cabinet :)

and here is the tanks home for the foreseeable.

Getting there, Slowly but surely.

Vandit.

Vandit

Condensation / Heating problems are sorted!

When I got in yesterday one of the return pumps was spitting bubbles everywhere causing a lot of surface activity which was getting water into the hood and possibly assisting condensation? As soon as I topped up the rear chamber, problem was sorted. Checked this morning and the heat was correct with no signs of water anywhere in the hood. Cooling fan and a maintained water level is the future, Reefloat ATU10-PRO.. Next!

I'm not 100% sure on how high to have the water level in the rear chamber? I dont have a fancy window like the 130D does so an experimental weekend lies ahead! At the moment I'm adjusting the position of the tunze skimmer and using the water line on the side as reference :)

A crate of Becks and a pile of rocks, Friday night.. Done!