Alien in my Tank...Please help!

juddwysr

This guy decided to relo to my tank via frag rock.... He along with two smaller (1cm) ones. Any feedback is much appreciated. He looks really cool, so I will keep if he is deemed harmless. I just dont want this thing to take over and end up with a much bigger problem. Also, I can see what I assume to be its heart flutter through its translucent outer layer. Very cool! I thought it was a flatworm of some kind until this pic was taken (Doesn't look so flat). Thank in advance to all!

hitchhiker.jpg

lcstorc

Looks like a nudibranch to me but what kind is a really big question. I will send a message to a couple of our known ID experts. Most nudis have very specific diets. This means they either starve in our tanks because we don't have the right food or their diet consists of something we want in our tanks. I know there are types that eat zoanthids and another that eats montipora but have no idea if this is one of them. There is also the berghia nudibranch which lives on aiptasia. So as you can see they can be a good thing or a bad thing.
Sorry I can't be of more help.

lcstorc

Thanks Boomer. I knew you would know. These are such fascinating and beautiful animals. Too bad they mostly feed on things we want to keep. Gotta love the berghia though. Too bad my wrasse loves them as well.

dmatt88

Has been struck by the ban stick
Heck of a cool looking alien none the less.

Sent from Matts DROID x using Tapatalk

DesertOrchid

I've had to deal with a couple of these and they can make quite a mess out of a montipora in short order! Lovely but get rid of it before it lays eggs. They look like ribbons in a whorl shape. If you want to watch it for awhile put it in a tank of it's own. I did that with the first one. Nice to watch... lasted a month or so then perished as I wouldn't feed it my corals..........imagine that?! *L*

Surfnut

If you truly enjoy the critter just place him in his own small tank and feed him dying coral from your local fish store. Several of the stores in my area used to sell you near dead or dying coral for cheap.

lcstorc

Unfortunately not this year. I haven't been working and am doing school full time so the funds just aren't there. :(
Have a drink for me.

juddwysr

Thanks for the help everyone. Wish I could keep. Oh well. if anyone needs a coral eating nudibranch.....holla!:square: