algee question ??

markm3

well its almost 2 month now for my new 180 gal , to be established ,and i think every thing is going well.
i just need to know if the brown and green algee have a bad affect in my tank , i do only clean my front view display but i never tried the back ,i think if i did my water will be so dirty ,,,i really need a good article about good and bad algee ,,well thanks again to everybody helped me on my new tank and i will put a pic for it , and let me know what u think about ?

Attachments

• 1 week ago.JPG
    1 week ago.JPG
    45.2 KB · Views: 8

charlesr1958

The only time algae can be considered "bad" is when it is in direct competition for space with corals. When you clean the tank's glass you are not harming anything and in fact are creating a temporary phytoplankton addition which if you have any copepods/amphipods or other filter feeding critters, they will appreciate being fed, although your skimmer will most likely remove a good deal of it. For articles on algae, please see the following:

A Philippine Fringing Reef & The Reef Aquarium - Part One Part Three

Chuck

markm3

The only time algae can be considered "bad" is when it is in direct competition for space with corals. When you clean the tank's glass you are not harming anything and in fact are creating a temporary phytoplankton addition which if you have any copepods/amphipods or other filter feeding critters, they will appreciate being fed, although your skimmer will most likely remove a good deal of it. For articles on algae, please see the following:

A Philippine Fringing Reef & The Reef Aquarium - Part One Part Three

Chuck
thanks 4 your help but the links is not working!!!